Elk Hunting Near Colorado Springs???

Well it looks like my two sons will be going to Colorado State University. I’m fimiliar with the pros and cons of moving to the front range. I have relatives in Colorado Springs so I plan on leasing a place down there, CSU in Fort Collins. I’ve been elk hunting for close to 10 years in unit 7 and some down in unit 74 but never near Colorado Springs.

Just curious about the OTC elk hunting opportunities around CS?

Statistically the elk hunting around here is pretty tough. Very low success rates even compared to the rest of the state. I personally choose to drive a few hours to go elsewhere rather than stay close.

Well it looks like my two sons will be going to Colorado State University. I’m fimiliar with the pros and cons of moving to the front range. I have relatives in Colorado Springs so I plan on leasing a place down there, CSU in Fort Collins. I’ve been elk hunting for close to 10 years in unit 7 and some down in unit 74 but never near Colorado Springs.

Just curious about the OTC elk hunting opportunities around CS?
Well if you're moving for family reasons that's one thing but I wouldn't move to the Springs for hunting reasons. All of my treks get me 3 to 5 hours from the Springs. Living in Ft Collins would put you a lot closer to decent elk hunting.

Dukejb

FNG
El Paso county is OTC for Archery and 2nd and third rifle. I always see a lot of elk sign when I’m hiking or turkey hunting the front range. I can’t really offer any advice on quality though since this past season was my first hunting elk. The guys that I know who have been hunting them for a long time here all drive 2-6 hours west or northwest, though.

Dukejb

FNG
I should clarify El Paso county west of I25 is OTC. East of I25 is draw only and almost all private anyway.

Hunting CO public OTC near the Springs or north on the Front Range is always tough because of the competition from the nearby population centers. That being said it's never a bad idea to pick up an inexpensive resident OTC tag nearby for those times when you want to get out but have limited time. Do some online research and you'll find some less pressured OTC units within 2-3 hours drive, especially during archery season.

vanniek71

FNG
OTC archery is all I hunt, I am not terribly familiar with that area, but there are tons of National forest, SWA and BLM land you can find to at least get out. As the others have stated its tough hunting, but I'm out there with my daughter (13) enjoying the experience and passing the tradition on as well. Of course the main goal is to kill elk, but if we don't at least we have the time we spent together!