Elk hunting pack.

aion2come

WKR
Is Kifaru worth the extra $150ish over exo and stone glacier and mr?
It depends on you. Packs are like boots, it all depends on how they fit your body. I have both Kifaru and Exo. I'm not sure I'd pay the extra $150, but that is because they both work for me. Having said that, I find myself reaching for the Kifaru frame for elk each time. Both fantastic pack systems and great companies.

I've been a part of well over a dozen elk packouts in the last 5 years with Ebay packs and none were close to the road

"a dozen" ? I'll up that with at least 100 over the years, I've even "alley oop'd" a hind quarter or two
I'll add to my statement about those ebay packs: THAT particular pack I mentioned (not "ebay packs") packs a MEAT LOAD as good, sometimes better, than the Stone Glacier (which I dearly love) IF you haven't used one, don't judge it - After I found them, quite a while after, I was PD shooting in MT with a younger friend who I would never even "want" to try and outrun on a meat packout and what do I see hanging in his garage but that very same "ebay" pack, he raves about it as well … as a MEAT PACK

jmez

WKR
I've packed with an Eberlestock, Full Curl, Kifaru, and Stone Glacier.

Meat is heavy and elk are big. Packing them out of the mountains is hard work and if you don't do it for a living you are going to be sore and it will suck unless you buy a horse.

To make it as comfortable as possilbe you need a good suspension, adjustable pack that rides well and functional load lifters. All that I've used but the Eberlestock have that . The load lifters don't have enough angle and they just pull the weight closer to your back not lift it off the shoulder. You will get more shoulder fatigue with that pack but it still works and doesn't "damage" you as many would try to have you think.

There is no gravity defying pack out there that makes 80lbs feel like 40. You can shift how it carries but the only way to make it lighter is to decrease the load. Pack threads are like everything else on the internet, everyone can shoot sub MOA groups with their rifle at 500 yards and all bowhunters can shoot 3 inch groups at 60 yards, take it with a grain of salt. Packing critters out of the mountains is hard, unforgiving work.

I no longer use a full curl because of the weight of the pack and day hunting comfort. Not because I think others haul heavy loads better.

On my typical hunt we spike camp in and hunt for 10 days. Unless we are packing meat I have a moderate load for a couple hours each way twice. Most of the time I'm wearing the pack is for hunting. Lightweight and comfortable for day use are more important to me than dedicated load hauling ability. Even if we pack meat, I spend far more time with a pack in "daypack" mode than I do hauling. I base may pack decision accordingly.

For me there isn't an appreciable difference between the SG, Kifaru, and Horn Hunter in that capacity. I based my choice off of the other factors. There is a huge difference on the internet with the fan boy culture in back country hunting. It is no different than the age old Ford, Chevy, Dodge, etc debates. Horn hunter isn't an expensive cool guy toy.

Since you have used the Full Curl, you should have an idea of what you like and don't like about the pack. You should have an idea about what is important to you in a pack. Sit down and make a list of the things that are most important to you in a pack, it doesn't matter what the internet crowd thinks. Then look at the different brands and see which fits your needs and wants.

If you simply are upgrading based on packing out one or two elk a year I don't think you'll find a huge benefit over the Full Curl.

hunting1

WKR
My kifaru is an upgrade but there are no flies on the Horn Hunter other than a little heavy. I used one for 2-years and a few pack outs.

I have had and still have several packs but am selling off all those but my Kifaru packs. To me they are worth $150!

You can upgrade the belt on your full curl to a kifaru duplex or a hill people prairie for $80/$100 and it's a game changer. I have other packs that I typically use but if you just are looking to upgrade your current set up and are otherwise happy with the layout, simply swapping the belt makes a world of difference.

gvsugod

FNG
My kifaru is an upgrade but there are no flies on the Horn Hunter other than a little heavy. I used one for 2-years and a few pack outs.

I have had and still have several packs but am selling off all those but my Kifaru packs. To me they are worth $150!

Can the horn hunter effectively pack weight with the daypack and the big bag on the frame? I have only ever seen photos/video of people using the frame alone or with the daypack.

OP
J

jerm8352

Lil-Rokslider
I've packed with an Eberlestock, Full Curl, Kifaru, and Stone Glacier.

Meat is heavy and elk are big. Packing them out of the mountains is hard work and if you don't do it for a living you are going to be sore and it will suck unless you buy a horse.

To make it as comfortable as possilbe you need a good suspension, adjustable pack that rides well and functional load lifters. All that I've used but the Eberlestock have that . The load lifters don't have enough angle and they just pull the weight closer to your back not lift it off the shoulder. You will get more shoulder fatigue with that pack but it still works and doesn't "damage" you as many would try to have you think.

There is no gravity defying pack out there that makes 80lbs feel like 40. You can shift how it carries but the only way to make it lighter is to decrease the load. Pack threads are like everything else on the internet, everyone can shoot sub MOA groups with their rifle at 500 yards and all bowhunters can shoot 3 inch groups at 60 yards, take it with a grain of salt. Packing critters out of the mountains is hard, unforgiving work.

I no longer use a full curl because of the weight of the pack and day hunting comfort. Not because I think others haul heavy loads better.

On my typical hunt we spike camp in and hunt for 10 days. Unless we are packing meat I have a moderate load for a couple hours each way twice. Most of the time I'm wearing the pack is for hunting. Lightweight and comfortable for day use are more important to me than dedicated load hauling ability. Even if we pack meat, I spend far more time with a pack in "daypack" mode than I do hauling. I base may pack decision accordingly.

For me there isn't an appreciable difference between the SG, Kifaru, and Horn Hunter in that capacity. I based my choice off of the other factors. There is a huge difference on the internet with the fan boy culture in back country hunting. It is no different than the age old Ford, Chevy, Dodge, etc debates. Horn hunter isn't an expensive cool guy toy.

Since you have used the Full Curl, you should have an idea of what you like and don't like about the pack. You should have an idea about what is important to you in a pack. Sit down and make a list of the things that are most important to you in a pack, it doesn't matter what the internet crowd thinks. Then look at the different brands and see which fits your needs and wants.

If you simply are upgrading based on packing out one or two elk a year I don't think you'll find a huge benefit over the Full Curl.
Thanks for the explanation

OP
J

jerm8352

Lil-Rokslider
My choice was a Kifaru Hunting Platform Frame And Suspension in coyote w/ Cargo Panel, two small belt pouches and two large pouches (that attach to the Cargo Panel if/when needed), and a Guide Lid all in Mandrake. Also has a Gunbearer and hanging hydration bladder. This cuts four pounds off my pack weight (compared to the DT1) which is almost half. At an estimated 13lbs (including water and kill kit, rainsuit and other stuff in pouches I am able to move around fairly well. If I need to haul a load (gear or elk) I just compress it between the frame and Cargo Panel. I can trek light but won’t hafta make a trip to the truck to get a freighter to haul meat…it’ll already be on my back. I can fit all my spike camp gear and a week of meals in the 55L dry bag. Compresses to nothing w/o the bag. I think it’s the quintessential rig. Stole the idea from Aron at Kifaru. <g>

[/URL
]
[URL=http://s246.photobucket.com/user/BC9696/media/KIFARUPACK1_zpsmtdmzost.jpg.html][/URL

]
[URL=http://s246.photobucket.com/user/BC9696/media/KIFARUPACK2_zpsrgfdaxwi.jpg.html][/URL

]
[URL=http://s246.photobucket.com/user/BC9696/media/KIFARUPACK3_zpsdewho5sj.jpg.html]

[/URL
]
[/URL][/URL][/URL]

How does that set up do with hauling a spotting scope/shooting sticks/treking poles and your rifle or bow?

How does that set up do with hauling a spotting scope/shooting sticks/treking poles and your rifle or bow?

In the pics previously posted you'll see i have trekking poles wedged in there, no prob. For my rifle and CB I use a Gunbearer.

A small spotter will fit in the Guide lid however my big 80 stays in its canvas case and run horizontally under the lid. The two lid straps secure it and the tripod. In the above pic you can see my jacket rolled up and secured the same way under the Guide lid.

OP
J

jerm8352

Lil-Rokslider
In the pics previously posted you'll see i have trekking poles wedged in there, no prob. For my rifle and CB I use a Gunbearer.

View attachment 96841

A small spotter will fit in the Guide lid however my big 80 stays in its canvas case and run horizontally under the lid. The two lid straps secure it and the tripod. In the above pic you can see my jacket rolled up and secured the same way under the Guide lid.

View attachment 96842
Thanks! Totally missed the trekking poles.

OP
J

jerm8352

Lil-Rokslider

View attachment 96841

View attachment 96842
How does the water bladder work? Sorry for all the questions. I really appreciate the help. Not real familiar with how these packs work. I have Platypus 3L water bladders. Would they work? I am really looking into your setup.

Last edited:
Kifaru makes a bag for bladders, you can see the hanging hydration bag in this side shot. It is sandwiched between the frame and Cargo Panel.

OP
J

jerm8352

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks. I have a 21.5 inch torso so that will factor into the decision as well. I am currently looking into the MR Mule, SG Serac 1700, Exo 2000( new models coming out are supposed to accommodate longer torso better) or some form of Kifaru with a cargo panel or the Apollo. The Kifaru system confuses me. I still can’t find that water bladder blag on their website.

OP
J

jerm8352

Lil-Rokslider
What do people think about Seek Outside? I am just running through all my options. The extra weight is making me skeptical of Kifaru and the ability of the Seek Outside to go to a 28in frame seems awesome.

wyelkhunter

Lil-Rokslider
I really like my seek outside frame. I have used cheaper packs, Mystery Ranch, kuiu, Kifaru, and Seekoutside. The Seekoutside fit me better. It Is very durable and handles heavy loads very well for me.

OP
J

jerm8352

Lil-Rokslider
I really like my seek outside frame. I have used cheaper packs, Mystery Ranch, kuiu, Kifaru, and Seekoutside. The Seekoutside fit me better. It Is very durable and handles heavy loads very well for me.
Thank you for the reply. I had not really heard much about them previously so that had me a little worried. It seems like they have closest to what I want however.

I used the Horn Hunter Full Curl for 2 years and packed out 2 elk and a deer, then i got a Stone Glacier and sold the HH. Everything about the SG was better especially the hip belt was far more comfy. The HH has that thick hard foam belt. Also the HH has no lumbar pad which was a game changer for me with comfort. I would definitely suggest upgrading you wont regret it.

OP
J

jerm8352

Lil-Rokslider
I used the Horn Hunter Full Curl for 2 years and packed out 2 elk and a deer, then i got a Stone Glacier and sold the HH. Everything about the SG was better especially the hip belt was far more comfy. The HH has that thick hard foam belt. Also the HH has no lumbar pad which was a game changer for me with comfort. I would definitely suggest upgrading you wont regret it.
Those are my thoughts as well. Thanks. I have an older Horn Hunter as well and I don’t see any way to adjust the shoulder straps up and down the frame.