Elk hunting pack

Holocene

WKR
Get something used. Lighter is better.

Most of all, make sure that the load lifters are FUNCTIONING load lifters. Meaning, the frame and belt are properly sized to your waist and torso and the frame is long/short enough for the load lifter straps to rise up at a 45 degree angle from the pack (or darn near close). Many people have improperly fitted packs. I used to be one of them. Lots of youtube videos on proper fit.

For $300, you could probably get one of the best packs on the market from ~5 years ago?

Don't overlook regular hiking packs. They are often sleek, lightweight and deeply discounted. Obviously, go with an earthy tone and not bright turquoise or whatever flashy color the campwear companies like to use. Why is that anyway?!

I have NOT elk hunted. I have only hunted pigs and whitetail with a frame pack and have used one to work out. I would highly recommend listening to the above advice and spending that $300 (might need to bump that to $400) on a quality used pack. There are a lot of brands out there and they all have their following. I've only been at it for a couple years and only have experience with Exo Mtn gear so far.

That being said, I did have some issue with having to cinch the belt down ridiculously tight just to keep the pack up with a 60# load. I have a Kifaru frame on order along with a quarter panel for training. I'll likely get a cavern bag once I have the money. My decision was based off of the availability to customize a Kifaru pack with different pockets and attachments, and the fact that they have such a large array of bags.

Hope this helps in some way

Thejet

WKR
You can find some good deal on Craigslist and or the Facebook marketplace on used higher end packs from time to time. Otherwise shop sales, any other the higher end packs are good now days.

I found my Eberlestock Dragonfly on clearance at Black Ovis last summer for under $200. Some complain about the lack of load lifters, but I found it to be one of the most comfortable packs I've ever used and the rifle scabbard is downright handy as hell. It's a great option that can be found for under $300 routinely.

Chiro22

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Badlands 2200, with the fold away meat shelf...What do you guys think about that pack for a 1st season Colorado Elk hunt. Probably going with a spike camp set up. Is that going to be enough bag or should I look at going bigger for that trip? Thanks?

I have a Badlands 2200, with the fold away meat shelf...What do you guys think about that pack for a 1st season Colorado Elk hunt. Probably going with a spike camp set up. Is that going to be enough bag or should I look at going bigger for that trip? Thanks?
My buddy used one of those last year, and another buddy had one on our first two elk hunts. That's not a bad day pack with the ability to haul out some meat on the first trip back to the truck. Having said that, I would have a frame pack or dedicated meat-hauler at the truck ready to bring out the rest of the animal. As for spiking in with a Badlands 2200, you'd better be an ultralight camper. I mean, if the weather isn't what we had last year for 1st rifle in CO, you could probably do it. Wouldn't be my first choice but sometimes if you already have it, it's better than starting over.

I bought an ALPS external frame pack for a meat hauler, and I used that to get my buddy's bull off the mountain.

Something to think about...

Chiro22

Lil-Rokslider
My buddy used one of those last year, and another buddy had one on our first two elk hunts. That's not a bad day pack with the ability to haul out some meat on the first trip back to the truck. Having said that, I would have a frame pack or dedicated meat-hauler at the truck ready to bring out the rest of the animal. As for spiking in with a Badlands 2200, you'd better be an ultralight camper. I mean, if the weather isn't what we had last year for 1st rifle in CO, you could probably do it. Wouldn't be my first choice but sometimes if you already have it, it's better than starting over.

I bought an ALPS external frame pack for a meat hauler, and I used that to get my buddy's bull off the mountain.

Something to think about...

Yeah...it's going to be weather dependent. I like to run ultralight when I can, but feel like I may be pushing it with a 5 day elk hunt on that pack...Looking at mystery ranch metcalf or marshall. I've heard good things about ALPS and Stone Glacier as well.

Wassid82

WKR

I still have that pack. I found one for a killer deal. It was a very functional pack for the hunting part of my trips. I loved how quiet it was and the size was just perfect. The issue was when a bull in knocked down and loaded on this pack you will find that it just doesn’t hold up to the rigor of the mountain. The weight is at the furthest point from you back and is always shifting. I think its a great day pack but lacks hauling capabilities. At least that was my experience

I currently am running a KUIU ultra 3000 also have the Icon 5500 bag for it when I do longer trips. The 3000 is great for day hunting or 1-2 nights. KUIU is probably the lightest pack out there and is really comfortable to wear and over all I have been impressed with its load carrying capability. I have packed 4 elk and a mule deer out with it. I am considering trying out EXO's new pack if you are interested I might sell mine, $300 is about what I would want to get out of it including frame and both bags.

squirly1

FNG
i own a kuiu icon 5500 and an icon pro 1850 love both of them have hauled meat with both.....little noisy till you put the graphite powder to them but other than that they have been good to me.

stump06

WKR
A few of the guys I go with take external frame packs and attach their day packs to them.

I have one of these and have hauled out a couple elk with it. For the money it's hard to beat. Just attach the pack you already have to it and you're good to go without spending a lot of money.