Elk hunting pack

Danimal

Lil-Rokslider
Used Stone Glacier X-curve frame would be my recommendation. I haven't been in this game long but my group all got different set ups and they all liked my brother's and mine SG set up the best. EXO seems really legit too. From my little experience it seems worth it to focus the finances on a strong, light weight, frame as the primary component.

Chiro22

Lil-Rokslider
i own a kuiu icon 5500 and an icon pro 1850 love both of them have hauled meat with both.....little noisy till you put the graphite powder to them but other than that they have been good to me.

Is that graphite powder going into the zippers to quiet them down?

JAXNRYLZ

Lil-Rokslider
Just bought a MR Metcalf... can't wait until it arrives so I can add weight and try it out!

Valkyrie

Lil-Rokslider
A few of the guys I go with take external frame packs and attach their day packs to them.

I have one of these and have hauled out a couple elk with it. For the money it's hard to beat. Just attach the pack you already have to it and you're good to go without spending a lot of money.

I ordered an F1 mainframe from a Eberlestock for just that purpose. I have their bigtop pack that I can use with it also or as a stand alone set up. Seems pretty versatile to me.

squirly1

FNG
The graphite goes where the carbon fiber sits in the pockets on the bag. They tend to squeak a bit.

I think I'm going to get a Kifaru with the Cavern bag. A lot of positive reviews on here regarding the Kifaru frame when hauling "overload" type weights, which will no doubt be touched when hauling out a bull. It also seems they a have a lot of support and influence from military users. The military guys are hauling 100+ lbs consistently, so it makes me want to believe that the Kifaru products are the real deal. I'm excited to try one out this year.

I have a Badlands 2200, with the fold away meat shelf...What do you guys think about that pack for a 1st season Colorado Elk hunt. Probably going with a spike camp set up. Is that going to be enough bag or should I look at going bigger for that trip? Thanks?

If you are packing a camp in, you will wish you had a bigger pack. You'll likely be lashing items on the outside of that pack.....

Jimss

WKR
I use a smaller daypack for scouting. I pretty much always hunt with my Kifaru frame/pack on Western US trips since it will likely save me a trip hauling out game from super remote and nasty places. The Kifaru frame and bags are super light and comfortable with lots of options for pouches/pockets for quick, quiet, and easy access to hunting gear, clothes, etc. I often haul raingear, spotting scope, tripod, etc. The nice thing about it is the new frames are super light weight and capable of 100+ lb loads. It's possible to cinch down a larger cubic inch bag pretty darn tight to the frame. The padded belt on the Kifaru frames are pretty much the envy of the hunting pack world for comfort!

It's pretty easy to bone out an entire deer and haul it back the first load rather than having to return later. It's even nicer for elk hunts where it usually takes several trips to get a bull out of nasty places! It may not matter if you hunt close to roads? You may also want to take a look at Stone Glacier. If I wouldn't have invested in Kifaru Iikely would have bought SG.

Last edited:

Chiro22

Lil-Rokslider
If you are packing a camp in, you will wish you had a bigger pack. You'll likely be lashing items on the outside of that pack.....

I appreciate the feedback and since we are planning on camping for as long as it takes to harvest an animal or the end of first rifle season, I will need a larger pack. If I was truck hunting I might be able to run the 2200.

I appreciate the feedback and since we are planning on camping for as long as it takes to harvest an animal or the end of first rifle season, I will need a larger pack. If I was truck hunting I might be able to run the 2200.

I found this out the hard way back in 2009 when I had a BL2200 and attempted to hike into the wilderness in the Sangres of northern NM. It wasn't purdy or comfy ;)