Elk hunting Pack

elayt213

FNG
Going on my first elk hunt in October, what’s your best suggestion for a beginner pack? Not looking to spend a whole lot on my first one just in case the elk hunting world isn’t for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kindo

WKR
My buddy liked his Badlands pack for a cheaper intro pack until he upgraded. Worked well for his other general camping trips etc. Otherwise, find a used (insert higher end pack brand here) and give it a whirl. If you don't like it, or don't continue to pursue elk hunting, you can probably sell it with minimal (if any) loss in value. I started with a used Kifaru setup and sold my bag for the same I paid for it after 3 years of use.

Another thing to consider, if you're lucky enough to take an elk and you have to pack it out in a Jansport backpack, you may not ever want to do it ever again!

Thats a loaded question on this site. Here goes...

I used Eblerestock packs in the past and they were a pretty good pack for the money in my opinion. I used them for more than just hunting. Held up well, I had no problem selling when I was ready to step up.
Only problem with them with me was you always had to adjust them, I mean tighten the straps. Not a big deal for me.

OP
E

elayt213

FNG
Was thinking about 200-250 would be a decent price for a first pack. I’ve heard the eberlestock packs are pretty fair, also found an ALPZ pack for around 170 that looked decent to start with. Was told I would want something with a frame

We will have a basecamp and be backpacking throughout the day

JGood

Lil-Rokslider
Was thinking about 200-250 would be a decent price for a first pack. I’ve heard the eberlestock packs are pretty fair, also found an ALPZ pack for around 170 that looked decent to start with. Was told I would want something with a frame

We will have a basecamp and be backpacking throughout the day

How are you getting to the base camp? Truck to the camp? Truck to trailhead then 5mi hike in? Horses?

Deerfield

Lil-Rokslider
Check out the Mystery Ranch Terraframe packs. Not designed specifically for hunting but they have a load shelf and work well. I have an 80 and like it for what it is. You can find them on sale from time to time in your price range.

Search the “Classifieds”. Buy used....you’ll spend less and get more. If you can get into a Mystery Ranch, Kifaru, Seek Outisde, Kuiu, EXO, Stone Glacier..... anything with a load shelf/meat hauler ability, you’ll be set. Comfort is a personal matter and will only be known once you try it on.

OP
E

elayt213

FNG
Search the “Classifieds”. Buy used....you’ll spend less and get more. If you can get into a Mystery Ranch, Kifaru, Seek Outisde, Kuiu, EXO, Stone Glacier..... anything with a load shelf/meat hauler ability, you’ll be set. Comfort is a personal matter and will only be known once you try it on.

This is going to be my first choice, gotta get my post count up though. Just not real familiar with brands, fit, etc... Figured I’d kill two birds with one stone.

That deal at Sierra is the one you need. If backpacking the 80 is right, if not the 50 is fine.

Going to be very difficult to beat either of those.

Jeremy

I just ordered the Terraframe 50 today. I just couldn't justify buying a SG or Kifaru first since if I don't like it I can return it to Sierra.com and the pack and frame for a fraction of just the frame for the other two. I already have a MR Glacier and wanted something that I could carry my treestands with and use when I go elk hunting in the Rockies once a year.

I mean.... I bought my badlands 2200 and tried to pack my deer out with it, wasn't a fan. The load shelf is garbage and it's on the very back of the pack so if you had an elk quarter in there, you're gonna be hurtin. Other than that it was a good pack, but this year I bought a Mystery Ranch. Such a difference. Even if the elk world isn't for ya, you could sell it on here. I'd like to try and Eberlestock

I mean.... I bought my badlands 2200 and tried to pack my deer out with it, wasn't a fan. The load shelf is garbage and it's on the very back of the pack so if you had an elk quarter in there, you're gonna be hurtin. Other than that it was a good pack, but this year I bought a Mystery Ranch. Such a difference. Even if the elk world isn't for ya, you could sell it on here. I'd like to try and Eberlestock

i learned the hard way too! now I'm stuck with a DT1 on a Hunter frame, and a Hoodlum on a Duplex Light frame. i will experiment packing in and out. first load out with the Hoodlum. second load with the DT1. whichever carries better, will get the nod for the last load or 2 out.

Wish I’d bought my Kifaru first instead of last. Would’ve saved me a metric ton of cash, time, and back pain. Keep an eye on the classifieds because used Kifaru frames and bags pop up all the time for sweet deals. You’ve just got to be ready to pounce.

The Horn Hunter Full Curl System is dollar for dollar an excellent pack set up for the price. Biggest downside is the heavy dry pack weight. Think mine weighed 9# before adding gear.