Elk Hunting Pants

Going on my first elk hunt this fall and have been spending a lot of my budget on the big ticket items I.e. boots, pack, sleeping bag etc. On the clothing side of things can I skimp on pants? It’s an early season archery hunt. Thinking of going camo-less at least for the pants. Wrangler makes a pretty cheap pair. Any thoughts ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The wranglers are awesome pants for the money. I use them for work daily and used them on my elk trip last year. I'd highly recommend them. You can find some that have dwr and some with fleece lining too. Great pants, you won't be disappointed

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

jdmaxwell

WKR
I used those Wranglers for 2 weeks in September in Colorado and in May 10 days in Idaho. They were awesome for me.

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
You absolutely do NOT need high dollar pants. I have some pricey pants and my wranglers do the job just the same (except for the lower leg water resistant coating)

H80Hunter

WKR
I haven’t used the Wranglers but I’ve had good experience with the Prana Zions. They haven’t been as durable as my first lite Corrugates but the function is great.

I use kryptek Valhalla’s and they worked fantastic this year. Enough stretch to not be cumbersome and cool enough to stay cool in the 70-80 degree idaho afternoons

X2 of the Eddie bauers. I purchased a pair after recommendations here and they have been great.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

rclouse79

WKR
I am thinking I will be going the wrangler route. I liked my kuiu attack pants, but they have absolutely fallen apart after two archery season of normal use. Holes worn at the bottom inside of each leg, and back pockets. Stitching is coming undone in multiple places. Had a huge rip in one leg one of the first trips I used them. I did email customer service and they told me to pound sand. If I am going to be buying new pants every season I will stick to $20 instead of $140.

JBiggs

Lil-Rokslider
Prana Zions and Wranglers for me. Also have a pair of kryptek Alaois but they all work the same. No need to have expensive pants to kill an elk!!!

Firehawk

WKR
Prana Brion or the similar Gerry or Eddie Bauer pants work great. A good gaiter may help if you have dew on the grass/brush to keep them from wetting through.

Ralphie

WKR
I killed several elk this year and helped on three more. Never had more than $26 in pants on. Wrangler lined and unlined and some hiking pants from Costco.

madcalfe

WKR
well considering many people have hunted for years in a pair of blue denim wranglers and a plaid jacket from deer/ elk to sheep and goats use whatever you want. cotton doesn't dry fast and is heavy when it gets wet. so its all about personal preference.

Prana Zions have been awesome for me for the most part. No complaints other than walking through anything remotely thorny, you’ll feel every thorn haha.

Coach529

Lil-Rokslider
I have a pair of Kuiu Attacks that are 6-7 years old and still holding up.

I bought a pair of the Wranglers this fall. Fit is good.....miss the hip vents of the Kuiu and I like the Kuiu pocket layout better.

Price of the Wranglers is tough to beat.