Elk hunting setup

So I recently got a new longbow, that's 45lbs at my draw length. I'm shooting an arrow that's really well tuned and weighs just over 500 grains. I have heavier bows, but I'm shooting this bow better than any bow I've ever had. If I limit my shots to under 25 yards max, is there any reason NOT to elk hunt with this bow? I'll be shooting a 2 blade 200 grain VPA head.

Wrench

WKR
If you stay out of the scapula you can add 10 more without worry. The humerus and spine of the scapula will screw you, but without hitting those, you're home free....as long as it's shaving sharp and standing still.

You're going to be about 160fps at 30 yards....all assuming you're 28ish plus draw length.

OP
S
My DL is 29'' so that helps...I know I've blown through some pretty big pigs with my 50 lb Widow and they're tough too, I've just never shot an elk period, and this bow is 5 lbs lighter. I really feel good about it, but just wanted some other opinions to be sure. Thanks!!

mattflint

FNG
Im hitting the woods with a 47@28 bow this year.(with zero trad kill experience)
I fix on staying away from the shoulder.
I feel confident in this set up due to how consistent I am with it. Id rather hit the mountain with that bow than anything heavier that is less consistent for me. Super sharp heads and well tuned arrows are my main concern.

jgrg1215

FNG
Just make sure to check the regulations for the state you will be hunting in. I believe Wyoming requires 50 pounds minimum for elk. Not sure what other states are.

SwampGhost

Lil-Rokslider
Can you give us the arrow set up and broadhead used and penetration results please?
Yessir arrow hit the offside leg did not exit. Arrow was bloody up to the fletching. Elk only went 50 yards. Shot distance was 13 yards!
Palmer Longbow 43#@26” draw 62” amo
Goldtip Blem 500 29” long with a 100gr brass insert and a 150gr Magnus Stinger 2 blade head. Total arrow weight 550gr
GPP= 12.79

bowhuntercoop

Lil-Rokslider
Yessir arrow hit the offside leg did not exit. Arrow was bloody up to the fletching. Elk only went 50 yards. Shot distance was 13 yards!
Palmer Longbow 43#@26” draw 62” amo
Goldtip Blem 500 29” long with a 100gr brass insert and a 150gr Magnus Stinger 2 blade head. Total arrow weight 550gr
GPP= 12.79
You’re a stud! Shoot me a txt once you start the whitetail killing spree again!