Elk hunting the Bob Marshall wilderness

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
I can certainly see the attraction of the Bob just like the Frank......I totally get it and understand. Sounds like there is some great advice on this thread. That being said, if you are hellbent on going in there, go for it and please follow up with photos and a story or two. I couldn't even imagine packing out an elk in there for 15 plus miles, or anywhere for that matter.
As a side note, I was at a trailhead a few years back on the border of the Frank Church just as this hunter had hiked out carrying a bull he had shot and he was basically carrying gear and the head. His other partners were still hunting and this was the only bull they had seen. I believe they had a couple pack animals also but he hiked out on his own.......I can't remember why.
This guy was an absolute stud and they were 16 miles back in so yeah, it can be done but he was SPENT. I mean DONE. As I recall, he was from the dakotas and a member here.
I wish you well and good luck! The photo is the bull he packed out.

Randy

Attachments

• 20180921_193853.jpg
    20180921_193853.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 150
  • 20180921_193825.jpg
    20180921_193825.jpg
    301.7 KB · Views: 146
I did a DIY south eastern WY mule deer hunt 2 yrs before my elk hunt and it really opened my eyes to how tough DIYs are.

Now it was SE Wyoming too! Not even mountainous!

Then to go on my MT elk hunt and the rugged places they live!

Man, combining them too experiences, I kind of chuckle at guys here on RokSlide thay say they're "First time elk hunters looking to do a DIY hunt."

Like MeatEater and Western Hunter make it look so easy, but damn it ain't!

Humping everything on ur back, cooking for urself, walking mile after mile....that ain't for thr faint of heart. Then shooting one and having to huff it out!

I thought I knew it wouldn't be an issue and thought to myself, "What's a little sweat and tired legs? I can work out and do it."

But DAMN it not like it looks on TV!

I give every credit in the world to guys who can hump in a week camp on a DIY hunt and come back with meat in their packs. God love ya for it, but those last two hunts were eye openers!
Agree on all points. Not sure why you had so much trouble on your mulie hunt though. My wife and I drove through on 80 last week and saw 3 mulie bucks including one huge shooter standing on the railroad tracks just outside pine bluff. Should be easy if you can see them from the interstate, right? ;)

Jack321

Lil-Rokslider
Who the heck told you that!!!!! Maybe on private land. Maybe! If you’re talking DIY OTC you better get input from someone else. That’s not realistic most anywhere let alone CO OTC. Not even close.
Yes, these hunts I was looking at were private land outfitters in OTC tags units.

Jack321

Lil-Rokslider
Agree on all points. Not sure why you had so much trouble on your mulie hunt though. My wife and I drove through on 80 last week and saw 3 mulie bucks including one huge shooter standing on the railroad tracks just outside pine bluff. Should be easy if you can see them from the interstate, right? ;)
Hell if ya can see em from the road just standin there! Why not just shoot em from the truck?! 😜😜

Yeah on our way to MT last yr we saw some dandy muleys just north of Yellowstone on I90 near Bozeman.

I love that Pine Bluff area tho just as your coming into WY, especially cuz Nebraska's so flat its kind of nice to see some texture to the land. Plus all the antelope you can see too.

Hoyt Ag

FNG
Yes, these hunts I was looking at were private land outfitters in OTC tags units.
As a western CO guide I would love to know the outfitter name and units. I work my nuts off getting guys on bulls and I never advertise that kind of kill rate. Do I have guys go home empty handed, sure. But I have a ton of return clients and they end up with something good eventually. I hate to say it but that is just part of hunting.

As a western CO guide I would love to know the outfitter name and units. I work my nuts off getting guys on bulls and I never advertise that kind of kill rate. Do I have guys go home empty handed, sure. But I have a ton of return clients and they end up with something good eventually. I hate to say it but that is just part of hunting.
Agreed! That is a HUGE red flag. I probably would scratch a guy off the list for telling me that.

First off I want to say I am not looking for anyone to tell me where to go, a trailhead to start at, a drainage to look at or anything of that nature. If anyone wants to share that you may feel free to but I would advise against it. So, what I am wondering is what elevations have others found the majority of elk at in unit 150 in the Bob Marshall wilderness during the mid to late September timeframe? Are the elk typically feeding on grasses at that time of the year in the area? Also, are the elk located throughout the unit in small pockets or are the pretty much concentrated towards the eastern unit boundary? Also as a side note has anyone hired someone to bring in pack animals and pack out an elk for them in this area after a kill? If so would you be willing to share their contact info and a typical price for a job like this? Thank you to anyone willing/able to answer my questions!
I talked to a friend of a friend known as Rational Redneck. Also known as one of the greatest living hunters in North America. He mentioned that many lesser men have come home empty handed but for those that tune out the haters and the fearmongers there's elk in them there hills.

For a true apex predator like yourself he says go forth and when you see a magnificent bull send it like he sends his potent DNA toward his Harriet when the lights go out. Lesser men than himself would stay home or worse yet hire Wade Lemon to ensure success, but not the elite hunter.

I talked to a friend of a friend known as Rational Redneck. Also known as one of the greatest living hunters in North America. He mentioned that many lesser men have come home empty handed but for those that tune out the haters and the fearmongers there's elk in them there hills.

For a true apex predator like yourself he says go forth and when you see a magnificent bull send it like he sends his potent DNA toward his Harriet when the lights go out. Lesser men than himself would stay home or worse yet hire Wade Lemon to ensure success, but not the elite hunter.
I have a friend who said common sense isn’t so common anymore. Lol

Jack321

Lil-Rokslider
PM sent

K
You are believing what you want to believe. The more you research outfitters the wiser you will get. I got your PM. The first of three outfitters you listed offers Colorado rifle hunts during the rut. Up to $19,000. That has high fence written all over it. He has several properties. But I guarantee to you that if he has a property where you can hunt with an OTC license that 99% success rate is NOT from that property.

The only legit outfitter you sent me was Rough Country. They are not in Colorado. They are located in Wyoming. Unit 7. You will NOT draw a bull tag there. Well… maybe in 20 years. Maybe. But if you ever do it will be like hitting the Powerball.

If you want a really high success rate on a fair chase hunt where you can actually get a license go look up the Indian reservation hunts in Arizona or New Mexico. White River Apaache or Jicarilla. But you better be ready to break out the checkbook or refinance your house.

But…. You do not need to be looking at places like that to kill a good representative bull. Don’t get hung up on success rate percentages. I think your bad experience in the Scapegoat has you looking at those numbers. Find yourself a good outfitter in Western Wyoming where you can hunt with a general license and if you are a persistent hunter in half decent shape you’ll get your bull. Especially if you’re not picky about size.

Have you considered doing some homework to put together a good DIY hunt in the right area for a hell of a lot less money? You have to pay outfitters every time you hunt. You can go DIY every year in the same place and kill elk while you learn the area and your success rate goes up. The rate of my camp is better than any outfitter. Even those guys claiming 90%. But I can hike the area blindfolded.

Last edited:

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
OP-you are legit being given solid and true advice. NOBODY is running a misinformation operation to hide their honey hole in the Bob. [*actual and correct usage of “running” utilized]

There are so many other places to grossly improve your success odds and still be in beautiful country here in MT.

Either way, rock on Brother!

Jack321 after reading your last PM you should ask people on here what your chances are of EVER drawing a Wyoming unit 7 bull license.

You could kill half a dozen… or a dozen bulls in Wyoming before that is even close to happening. And that sir is no exaggeration.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I spend (have spent) a lot (lot) of time in the Bob (Great Bear and Scapegoat too). Was a Wilderness Ranger in there for two years prior to becoming a game warden.

There are elk in there, some good bulls too. Is it easy hunting, far from it.

Generally folks that hire an outfitter in the Bob are looking for an adventurous hunt first and killing a bull second. You'll definitely get the first, the second takes hard work and a little luck.

If your number one priority is to kill a bull, there are better places to spend your money. If you want a memorable hunt in a beautiful setting, you won't do much better imo.

Jack321

Lil-Rokslider
Jack321 after reading your last PM you should ask people on here what your chances are of EVER drawing a Wyoming unit 7 bull license.

You could kill half a dozen… or a dozen bulls in Wyoming before that is even close to happening. And that sir is no exaggeration.
Yup, I'm well aware of the odds. I really appreciate the info!

crazyhawksfan

Lil-Rokslider
I have every intention of going again, just not there. But I'm not going to lie, it put a real sour taste in my mouth. And I'm still not "over" it.

I mean again, yeah I know it's "hunting" and it's "fair chase" in really "rugged and steep country," but I was at least expecting to SEE an elk. Even if it was 2 miles away as I'm glossing at last light. Just really knocked the wind out of my sails.

I had saved for 6 yrs to do that hunt. Every Christmas, birthday, Father's Day, Anniversary, all I ask for anymore is money to go on hunting trips.

And elk was my #1 bucket list hunt to do.

So it's partly my expectations that I put so much stock and effort into it and why not seeing an elk bummed me out so much.

But I just gotta save again and I'll be back at another outfit in a couple years. I also had some other hunts planned for thr next 3-4 yrs with some family and some buddies.

It's frustrating too cuz some Colorado outfits are boasting 90% success rates on 4pt or better units. Colorado is OTC tags. Granted it's a little more $$ but now that I have the gear I can swing some $$ towards the trip.
Man what's keeping you from just going diy? That story almost makes me feel sick. My advice would be put some of that time and money towards scouting trips and time hunting and go send it!

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Man what's keeping you from just going diy? That story almost makes me feel sick. My advice would be put some of that time and money towards scouting trips and time hunting and go send it!

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
Exactly! Too many guys, especially after striking out with an outfitter, think they can’t do it on their own. My first two hunts were guided. The first was archery. I saw one cow and killed nothing. The second was rifle. I saw zero elk. My third hunt was a DIY gun hunt and I killed a nice 5 point bull. Not all guides are elk killing machines. Send me a PM and for less than half the cost of a guided hunt I’ll set you up with a DIY hunt plan that is a fully guided hunt on paper. Complete with information on meat processor ls, packers, where to camp and get groceries dry ice etc. Split that cost with partners and it’s dirt cheap. Yes you’ll have to feed yourself and pack your own elk out. But it’s cheap AND you don’t have to pay every year you hunt. Keep hunting the same area and learn it. THAT is how you get consistent at killing elk. Something to think about. Something else to think about is no matter where a guide takes you he’s had a bunch of other hunters there before. It’s like rolling the dice. With a DIY hunt you can be hunting fresh undisturbed places. Much better. Guys need to rethink DIY elk hunting. There are LOTS of reasons why your success rate can actually be higher than on a guided hunt. If you’re lazy…. Well that’s a different story. Guided hunts are the way to go for lazy dudes with money to burn.

Last edited:
Sometimes also it takes a little luck. My first archery elk hunt I shot a raghorn 4x5. If you want a good guided hunt experience in central montana I would check out Rawhide guide services. Ive done all my hunting diy but had the opportunity to trade some labor for elk hunting with them. Theyve got decent bulls and a couple big ones but theyre down to earth people. That guided hunt in the bob sounds like an absolute disaster and I can understand why youd be so set in success rates.

Sent from my LM-G850 using Tapatalk