Elk hunting with a verifier

Any of you use one? How well does it do out west? In rain? Does it fog up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rob5589

WKR
I need one, been running it for 5 years. No issues fogging up even in the cold, rain, snow. Not sure what you mean by "out west." The only issue I have had is shooting too close at grouse. I actually dropped down one color in magnification to open up the field of view on closer stuff.

ElkNut1

WKR
I've used one for 6 years, not a single issue with rain or fogging to date. Doesn't mean it cannot happen but the option of having perfectly clear pins with no haloing is worth everything! It's the single best move I've ever done for my bow & I.

Go for it, you will not regret it!

ElkNut/Paul

Anyone use one in Colorado? I use one and when I looked at their regulations I thought I read you couldn’t use one. Make no sense to me since all it’s doing is allowing me to anchor the same as I did before I needed glasses. Unfortunately I have tried to wear glasses and shoot but can’t come to a consistent anchor. If I can’t use a verifier for this elk season I may have to try contacts or risk getting fined for using the verifier.

ElkNut1

WKR
I'm pretty sure Verifiers are legal everywhere. They are not Magnifiers, they are classed as 1.25 - 1.50 - 1.75 - etc. just like contacts or glasses would be, it takes the place of glasses. That's a big difference right there!

ElkNut/Paul

OP
A
I need one, been running it for 5 years. No issues fogging up even in the cold, rain, snow. Not sure what you mean by "out west." The only issue I have had is shooting too close at grouse. I actually dropped down one color in magnification to open up the field of view on closer stuff.
Ha, I’m from Ohio so I guess a lot could be considered “out west.” I just meant elk hunting in the western states.

I've used one for 6 years, not a single issue with rain or fogging to date. Doesn't mean it cannot happen but the option of having perfectly clear pins with no haloing is worth everything! It's the single best move I've ever done for my bow & I.

Go for it, you will not regret it!

ElkNut/Paul

Thank you both! I’ve developed the issue recently and wanted to know if there were any downfalls to using one. I’m going to go tomorrow and get one!

Rob5589

WKR
Idaho, where we hunt, also states that you cannot use a magnified bow sight. I called the F&G and explained the situation and was told it was good to go. Their interpretation was the verifier is not a bow sight.

OP
A
Do you guys think my allergies could be causing this issue? I got the peep and verifier installed, but this seemed to come on suddenly and I haven’t always had allergies. The verifier does help a lot.

Wapiti1

WKR
Could be allergies. My vision gets blurry if I take some allergy medications. Anything with Sudafed dries my eyes out and they get blurry. Lasts for a couple of days.

Jeremy

ElkNut1

WKR
Personally, mine was eyes related, of course in my 60's so that can make a difference!

ElkNut/Paul

OP
A
Could be allergies. My vision gets blurry if I take some allergy medications. Anything with Sudafed dries my eyes out and they get blurry. Lasts for a couple of days.

Jeremy
Mine isn’t due to meds. I just got them yesterday because I couldn’t stand it anymore. My eyes get really itchy. It’s not bothering me so bad today and my vision seems better.
Personally, mine was eyes related, of course in my 60's so that can make a difference!

ElkNut/Paul
I’m half your age!

Been using one for about 5 years, never had an issue. I would be more worried about dirt or debris on it. Maybe a good idea to carry a handy q-tip somewhere on you in case you need to clean it periodically. I love mine and has really helped my shooting. Spent 3 weeks in Montana with it last year. No issues...and smoked several grouse with it..lol

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Elk97

WKR
Thanks for posting this. I've never heard of them before and had to do a search to see what you were talking about. I think I need one.

For those that are not familiar with these there are verifiers and clarifiers for your peep sight that will correct your vision through peep. I wear glasses but do not hunt with them on. This solved my problem of a clear sight picture. And I don't need glasses. They are worth every penny they cost. The ones I use are made by Specialty Archery LLC. Not sure if any other manufacturers out there.
ad13ad44883a37798e5b809863ab3778.jpg

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Shane

Lil-Rokslider
I went to the bow shop today to get a verifier. I tried all of them on the little test tool thing. The lowest magnification verifier made the pin clear, but it really blurred the distance stuff. The pin isn't terribly blurry for me (yet) without the verifier, and the distance is still pretty clear. So I decided not to get a verifier yet. Surprised me, 'cause I can't tie a fly on my leader without readers. But the sight pins on my bow are a little further than arm's length, so that makes them a little clearer for me I guess.

Sled

WKR
i use a single pin and a 2x "scope" on mine. sure clears things up for me. if the one pin is blurry, at least you know which one it is. leave it at a set distance and shoot.

Been using a verifier for a very long time, about 12-15 years. I clean mine with a Q-tip regularly. It seldom really needs cleaning much. I also put rain-x on it with the Q-tip and wipe clean with a tiny piece of a white rag before each season. Never had rain bother it nor have it fog up. I have learned to pretty much shoot with both eyes open, with my right eye being dominant I can see the pins easily thru the verifier and my left eye looks at the target at the distance. Both eyes blend in to make great shots. I highly recommend them if your eyesight starts to weaken.

elkdog

Lil-Rokslider
Just got one installed today and put 40 shots through it, wow what a difference. I should have done this a couple of years ago for sure.