Elk in burns

Hey everyone.This September ill be in a unit were there's a fairly new burn . My question is ,is there a sweet spot when it comes to how old a burn is and elk using it ?thanks

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

mtjimbo

Lil-Rokslider
As long as it doesn't look like the moon the first year and any of the first 5 years will be good and there was an article I read with a study in it that said elk numbers in burn areas go up for like 10 years after the burn or something along those lines.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

OP
MandRroofing
I believe its only a couple years old

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

mtjimbo

Lil-Rokslider
I personally think those first 5 years are awesome. I'd get in and look at it and see what's growing in there

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

ElkNut1

WKR
Instead of being focused on a burned area I'd seriously consider more on locating spots with no access or difficult access, if some of those spots have burned areas then ok, outside of that locate areas others stay away from regardless of burned or not. Lots of spots in every elk unit where elk can be found less than 2 miles from the beaten path or roads.

Stay mobile! If you have a 10 day hunt then consider a new spot in the morning & a new spot in the evening, this means you have a total of 20 different areas to consider during your hunt, the odds of finding elk in that many spots is much better than focusing all your energies on 2-4 spots or less. Good luck sir!

ElkNut

Depends on the burn. Things like severity, aspect, and elevation all play in to how long those burns continue to produce. Outside of forested areas, I think you're pretty much back to the baseline within a few years. I've hunted burns in some areas that are 15+ years old and still produce plenty of game. If you can hike in to them, all the better.