Elk in MI

Jsal8

FNG
Hey guys, I am entering to get drawn this year in a few states but still want to go out even if to harvest a cow elk. Does anyone know/hunt out of Michigan? It’s close to home and was thinking about putting my name there just for kicks. Not sure how they are as far as bulls but I’m sure there’s plenty of cow elk.

michihunt

Lil-Rokslider
Are you a resident of Mi? The Michigan Elk lottery is open to residents only. That being said, draw odds are pretty slim. I know people applying for 15+ years and haven’t drawn. Here is a screen shot of the odds and a link to more info. Good luck!
4a00dd946184cc352d54ac7963510b7f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SeanDC

Lil-Rokslider
I know it's a tough tag to draw. As a Mi resident I have applied many times. Only 100 tags available. 70 of which are cow tags. Over 30k people apply.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Two Roads

Lil-Rokslider
It is not a draw, it is a lottery. Pure fund raiser, Pure Michigan. And if you read about the winners and DNR supported tactics, a lot more fish in a barrel than fair chase. Kind of like the DNR approach to northern Michigan deer herd, brown and down trophy spikes.

P Y Buck

Lil-Rokslider
I drew a MI tag back in 1994 and was successful in tagging an elk, Been applying ever since but no luck.

Mt Al

WKR
My father in law drew the Michigan bull tag years ago, called me crying, happy, laughing. He had a blast and got a nice 5x5 with his old 300 Savage. Many were the elk BBQs at his house, the beer flowed like wine and the story was told a thousand times, getting better each time.

He was certain he'd never draw and was blown away. We had to call him "The One" for a few months after he drew, because he was The One (of several) who drew.

BeWild

FNG
Been putting in for years with no luck. I'd love to go up there and try my hand at it.

shanny28757

Lil-Rokslider
Michigan elk is a resident only draw. It’s very limited. Off the top of my head I think there are around 1000-1200 elk and 80-100 tags issues per year depending on the heard that year.

Yup it's a weighted lottery and if you draw a bull it's one and done, and cow tags every 10 years if you draw,only other option is the pure Michigan raffle where you can buy as many chances as you like for 5 bucks each,and that is 3 drawn per year but includes all of your licences for the year along with a prize package worth 4000 dollars donated by area business and sportsman's clubs. Both of which are open to Michigan residents only.

Bucky

Lil-Rokslider
Lol right! They look so similar tough to tell the difference.... you wonder what the hell some people are looking at when they shoot or even in the woods for that matter... MI elk Not possible for this Wi guy unfortunately.. at least have a chance drawing a bear take, still takes forever. Pure Michigan has some of the worst management. Particularly draws and herd management of all their big game-that is in the U.P.

Mi_fiveo

WKR
For only $5 yes I’ll throw my name in the hat for a Michigan elk tag. I’ll probably never draw one though. Sure beats the $1300+ my Wyoming application is going to cost me!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's right for 5 bucks it's worth a try, two years ago a guy my wife went to school withs dad won the pure Michigan raffle and also drew a bull tag so he had to bull tags in the same year...donated one to his son so they could both go together.

Scooter90254

Lil-Rokslider
It’s 200 tags. 100 in each season. It’s a true trophy hunt because of the lack of pressure. If you live in MI and aren’t participating that’s just plan silly. If it was open to NR it would be a blue chip hunt for sure.

I had a cow tag a few years ago and saw over 200 elk the first day.

I have 5 years applying... I'm expecting at least 20 more....If ever....to get my bull tag. lol