Elk in the rain

Walkstoomuch

Lil-Rokslider
I’m in my second season of archery elk and haven’t experienced any rain yet while out. There’s a system moving though this weekend and I’m curious what to expect. With only a couple weeks left I’m anxious to pass up any time in the woods but also want to make sure it’s as productive as possible. Im backpack hunting so the rain is uncomfortable but I have decent gear so it’s manageable. I'm able to shift my weekend at work and could go hunt after the system is done, just wondering if there are benefits/drawbacks to the rain. The considerations I've thought of are blood trailing being more challenging and stalking being much quieter (except for the sound of a goretex jacket). Do they lay low, talk less etc? My tag is in the high desert, if I was coastal hunting I imagine it may be a different answer. Does anyone have any input? Thanks for sharing your knowledge

BBob

WKR
In my experience I don't think they care much at all, it's more of a hindrance for us. I've hunted and found so many animals in the rain that while not optimal it's still totally doable. Glassed up and shot one of my biggest bulls during a heavy driving rainstorm on an early archery hunt in NM. The stalk was easy in the wet and noise of the rain, blood trail was non-existent but he didn't go far. Thinking back about it I've killed many Coues deer and javelina in the rain. Just go hunt :)

wapitibob

WKR
I have never heard an elk bugle in the rain in OR, I don't even go out. Hunting In NM and AZ rain didn't bother them one bit; from light rain to dark as night downpour.

Forecast for Oregon seems like Saturday might be decent hunting, but Sunday is looking too heavy to archery hunt in most areas. A decent amount of rain can wipe a blood trail out pretty quick, so if you make any kind of marginal hit and need to give it some time, that isn't always an option. Unless you get a good break in the weather, I'd plan on Sunday being a camp day. It should break overnight so Monday morning should be good activity, make sure you're out right at first light.