Elk, it's what's for dinner

Phaseolus

WKR
Timely, I made shredded elk burritos with new crop pinto beans and garden grown anaheim fire roasted chile’s

GSPMich

FNG
I’m new to eating elk, shot my first in October. The steaks have been tough, way tougher than the whitetail I’m used to.

Is this just the way it is or am I doing something wrong, usually marinate with oil, vinegar, salt, and pepper. Usually garlic too.

LostArra

WKR
I’m new to eating elk, shot my first in October. The steaks have been tough, way tougher than the whitetail I’m used to.

Is this just the way it is or am I doing something wrong, usually marinate with oil, vinegar, salt, and pepper. Usually garlic too.
What steaks? round? loin?

AZmark

WKR
Wednesday was our 42nd anniversary. No place good to out to eat where I live without driving and hour. Wife asked what I wanted for dinner, I said elk green chili and refried beans. She thawed out a elk loin and thats what we've had for 3 dinners now. Yum

AZmark

WKR
To GSPmichigan.................I live right i the middle of elk country and between me an my two sons have probably taken a couple dozen elk over the years. I've had only one that was tough, it was a spike and that didnt make sense to me. I'm thinking maybe the butcher didnt hang/age it?

I have had several tough elk over the years. Great flavor but tough as plywood. I have no idea what causes this. :rolleyes:

GSPMich

FNG
It’s very likely mine didn’t hang long enough, I didn’t really have much choice, I shot it on Oct 11, dropped it at the processor on the 12th and picked it up the 14th for the ride back home.

Flavor is great, steaks are tough though, I’ll marinate longer and tenderize.

Someone asked what steaks, only steaks I haven’t had yet have been loins, when I want steak I just grab the first I find at the top of the freezer, loins are next package.

AZmark

WKR
It’s very likely mine didn’t hang long enough, I didn’t really have much choice, I shot it on Oct 11, dropped it at the processor on the 12th and picked it up the 14th for the ride back home.
Bingo....3 days?...................My experience is they need to hang at least a week, longer if you can get a processor to do that but when they are busy they dont like doing that. Just like beef, it can be real tough when not allowed to age.

def90

WKR

Flavor is great, steaks are tough though, I’ll marinate longer and tenderize.

Someone asked what steaks, only steaks I haven’t had yet have been loins, when I want steak I just grab the first I find at the top of the freezer, loins are next package.

You can wet age after the elk has been frozen if you have them vacuum sealed. Just pull your steaks out of the freezer a week or so before you plan to cook them. Your elk will also break down/age a bit as it sits in the freezer.