Elk kill kit

Not sure how many people have a “kill kit” but I have a question on something Iv been pondering about adding to it. I see some guys use a 5x7 tarp or even tyvek to lay on the ground to put the quarters on. I’m debating if it is worth having something like that, last year I had a rear deer quarter fall into the dirt, wasn’t to happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KClark

WKR
It's a good idea to have a ground sheet for meat. Painters plastic takes up a bit less room because it folds tighter and is more flexible and a helluva lot quieter.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I bring one huge 55 gal trash bag- can set meat on top of it before putting it in game bags, turn it inside out and use it to keep blood off the pack, cut a head and arm holes to wear it as a emergency poncho, slice it down the seam and it's big enough for emergency shelter roof.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Wapiti1

WKR
I use a big square of Tyvek as well. It gets shredded, but is cheap to replace and very light weight.

Jeremy

OP
P
Oh man lots of good ideas, I’m concerned about how much room and the weight of the pack, never thought of a space blanket, painters plastic or garbage bag, and I like the multiple ways to use them, like 2 for 1 deals. I also wanted the tarp for an emergency shelter, but again it’s so bulky and heavy

bsnedeker

WKR
I also bring a 55 gallon contractor bag. I have used it as a shelter as well to get out of the rain in addition to the other uses mentioned. Just cut it down the sides and open it up.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Beendare

WKR
I mostly bone out all the elk we kill....and just lay the meat on the 1/2 hide that's exposed or right in the game bags if there are a lot of flies/yellow jackets.

I'm super picky about dirt and hair...since I'm the one eating it. The thin plastic [food grade] and space blanket ideas are good ones....cheap, light, throw away.

FYI, Not all plastic is food grade

Peeling meat off of a space blanket is skill in itself though- grin

EDIT; I will admit to being a stickler on this meat. I typically re-glove 4 times, not wanting to handle raunchy hide and meat with the same nitrile gloves.

________

Last edited:

muddydogs

WKR
Oh man lots of good ideas, I’m concerned about how much room and the weight of the pack, never thought of a space blanket, painters plastic or garbage bag, and I like the multiple ways to use them, like 2 for 1 deals. I also wanted the tarp for an emergency shelter, but again it’s so bulky and heavy

A tarp doesn't have to be bulky and heavy. I purchase a cheaper silnylon 5x7 tarp off Amazon a few years ago that weights 10 ounces and fits along side my water bladder in the bladder pocket. The size is about right for a quick shelter if needed and it works great as a meat tarp. I stuff the dirty tarp back in its stuff sack after butchering game so it doesn't get my pack nasty then throw it in the washing machine once home to clean it all up.

I tried a space blanket first and found all it did was stick to the meat and rip on every little rock or stick, it wasn't worth the time or trouble to deal with.

OP
P
A tarp doesn't have to be bulky and heavy. I purchase a cheaper silnylon 5x7 tarp off Amazon a few years ago that weights 10 ounces and fits along side my water bladder in the bladder pocket. The size is about right for a quick shelter if needed and it works great as a meat tarp. I stuff the dirty tarp back in its stuff sack after butchering game so it doesn't get my pack nasty then throw it in the washing machine once home to clean it all up.

I tried a space blanket first and found all it did was stick to the meat and rip on every little rock or stick, it wasn't worth the time or trouble to deal with.

I just ordered one on amazon, thank you. It is exactly what I was looking for! Thank you

ridgefire

WKR
I have always picked as much hair off as I can and then once the quarter is cut off it goes right in the game bag. No need for a tarp, usually they die on a slope so it would slide right off it anyways.