Elk kill kit

ElkNut1

WKR
Inrutt, you want red pepper in powder form, you sprinkle it on the raw exposed meat as you break down your animal. You don't need it real heavy, put enough on until you notice the insects staying away from it. I like to throw a chuck of decoy meat away from me a few yards with no pepper & let them drift over to that!

ElkNut

rgrx1276

Lil-Rokslider
I use a tarp and game bags. When it's only you dealing with an elk, 10 oz tarp makes sense to help you keep your hard earned game as clean as possible.

BBob

WKR
Space blanket fan here too. I always have one in the pack and quite handy for whatever reason or another you get stuck or choose to stay on the mtn overnight. It can make a big difference between total suck to bearable suck.

Jellymon1

Lil-Rokslider
Am I the only one that puts meat or quarters directly into the game bags as soon as its cut off the animal? It only takes a few seconds. If I do need to lay a large quarter down to get it in the bag by myself, I just lay it on the large flap of hide I just skinned off to get to the first two quarters.

Jbehredt

WKR
Am I the only one that puts meat or quarters directly into the game bags as soon as its cut off the animal? It only takes a few seconds. If I do need to lay a large quarter down to get it in the bag by myself, I just lay it on the large flap of hide I just skinned off to get to the first two quarters.

There’s at least two of us then...

That's what I do as well.

87TT

WKR
I am a Tyvek user as well. Washed and dried several times in the laundry so more pliable and quiet. When I get home, I wash it again and fold/roll it back up for next year. Mine is two years and two elk old and still going. I fold it small and the roll it up, wrapping para cord around it. Always used Tyvek for a footprint for my backpacking tent too.

Gumbo

WKR
So I use caribou bags and slide them on a quarter before I remove the quarter from the carcass. I actually begin putting the bag on each quarter a little at a time as removal allows, basically inching it up as I disarticulate the appendage. This keeps the quarter pretty damn clean. Of course the quarter is then in upside down, but they still fit just fine.

TX_Diver

WKR
I bring one huge 55 gal trash bag- can set meat on top of it before putting it in game bags, turn it inside out and use it to keep blood off the pack, cut a head and arm holes to wear it as a emergency poncho, slice it down the seam and it's big enough for emergency shelter roof.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
This is exactly what I do. I always have a contractor trash bag in the bottom of my pack, for use as a processing bench/staging area.

Last year I had to quarter and pack out my elk solo. The trash bag was invaluable for keeping meat clean. I laid it under the quarter I was working on so that when it came free from the carcass it could fall into the trash bag instead of the ground.

Sent from my F1 using Tapatalk

I try and put the meat right on the bag if I can but if working along not always that easy.

I carry a small silnylon tarp with me. Each corner has a guide line on it. I stake it down when I start and if I need to I can put quarters or meat on it to I can bag it. I have also used it after done to create a roof of shade and protect from rain if I need to leave the bags. The guide lines are the key. I can also use the same tarp if caught in a down pour to keep me dry.

This year I added 1 of those thin plastic cutting boards/sheets to the pack. You get them like 4 for $7 at Walmart. It weighs almost nothing. I wanted it when I have time to trim meat in the field. I was tired of cutting on a log or cutting holes in my tarp.

I've had success with black pepper keeping the sweat bees off in the dry heat in western CO but those flies seemed to be immune... Wondering if anyone has tried white pepper? Tends to be a little more potent, and expensive, but might also go a little further.

PowellSixO

Lil-Rokslider
Don’t forget the para cord. Elk are big critters. Cutting one up with a friend is always nice, but when you’re be yourself, para cord really lends a helping hand.