Elk Knife Setup

smith777

Lil-Rokslider
Heading to Colorado for my first elk hunt this year. I’m trying to keep my pack light and trying to save money as well. From what I’ve read on knives, the Mora Companion is a really good fixed blade knife for the money ($20), and then the Havalon Plastic Handled removable blade is a super cheap alternative ($3) to the more stylish removeable blade knives like the Tyto 1.1 and Kestrel, etc.

Does anyone agree with what I’ve read as far as the best bang for the buck and keeping it light? Are they good options to take care of an elk in the field?

1B909BB3-59CC-48D1-944D-5DEE46DAE70A.jpeg82634A21-39D4-4F25-8B71-44033688B9EE.jpeg

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think you're on the right track- a light, easy to sharpen fixed blade, teamed w/ a replaceable blade knife should cover all of your dressing/butchering needs

bsnedeker

WKR
I carry the tyto and that same mora, had I known about the cheaper scalpel handles I would have gone with those... so I think you're good!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

HiMtnHntr

WKR
I have quartered a bunch of elk with just a regular havalon, most of the time just using one or two blades. Take few extra blades...

That scalpel handle is what I use. I bought 10 for less than one folding havalon.

My fixed blade depends on what’s sharp that week. Favorite is the Anza or one of the Buck knives my Dad gifted me during my life.

cravingame

Lil-Rokslider
I run the Buck Knives 141 PakLite Trophy Kit . It keeps an edge through 2 elk because it's made of sv30v steel. It does triple duty with 3 blade edges, caping/skinning/and gutting (I use the gut zipper to open up elk down the spine, thus never dulling my skinning edge on hair or hide. Weighs 5.1oz total. Originally $120 but Cabela's is giving them away for $49!!! Buck Knives is family owed since 1902, USA made, and guaranteed for life. I'm a "buy once kinda guy". After writing this, I think I'm going to go a buy a set for each of my sons now. This is a killer deal!
Screenshot_2019-06-15 141 PakLite Trophy Kit.png

Buck Vanguard, holds and edge and the rubber handle does not get slippery in blood. I will carry the weight all day long. I want a knife that can handle a survival situation. Just an Old Boy Scout I guess.

Trial153

WKR
Dozier pro guide is always with me in the back county. There isnt anything that needs doing that I cant or havent done with that knife.
fa87839f42fabffd721c4ee5db3ad444.jpg

walleye26

FNG
I have always carried either a Ka Bar or a Buck 110. My brother picked up a Piranta that I borrowed while we were turkey hunting. Having the scalpel blade was awesome and I will do the same as the author. Replaceable scalpel blade for most use with a reliable back up fixed blade

Mosby

WKR
I always carry a Havalon or a Gerber with replaceable blades to cut the hide but I prefer a bigger knife for skinning and cutting out the backstrap and tenderloin. I always seem to cut myself with the replaceable blade knives.

I really like old Cold Steel knives. I have an old Cold Steel Master Hunter that probably goes with me more than any other knife. It isn't the lightest but it works really well and I seem to kill stuff when I carry it. I also use a Knives of Alaska boning knife made with ATS-34 steel. Both are easy to sharpen, which I prefer.

I normally carry two knives elk hunting and one knife for deer.

A great one knife option is a Cutco serrated. It is one of the most effective knives for elk or deer I have ever used. It works great. It just looks and feels like a piece of crap and I can't get myself to like it.