Elk Knife Setup

So figured I'd post in this thread since I'm sub'd and have a little input now. I absolutely hate folders, all fixed blade type of guy and I've got some really nice blades I typically carry, not quite a blade nazi but I'm getting there. My wife has been listening to the Newberg podcasts which I thought was cool, but then he conned her into buying his new Gerber DTS folding knife and she ended up giving me one for my birthday "for Elk hunting." One thing I learned many years ago with this woman is if she buys me something thoughtful as a gift it better get used. So I toted this clunky folder on a hunt with my sons last week, 21 year old boy killed his first Bull and out comes this DTS to get busy. I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised, the primary blade did it's whole job without need to resharpen and that little stout tendon blade or whatever it was went through knee joints and neck and all that PDQ. I'm not going to say I'm converted yet, but figured I'd throw out a review in the "Elk knife setup" thread. YMMV

gelton

WKR
My setup seems to change each year but this year just a basic Benchmade Griptilian folder with an Argali Serac. My partner got a cow this year and he had his knife and I just used the Griptilian. Brokedown the whole elk and deboned the front shoulders without even having to break out the Serac.

I don't mind folders for breaking down the game, the one thing that I cannot tolerate is a serrated edge on any of my hunting knives.

LRHunter

FNG
Heading to Colorado for my first elk hunt this year. I’m trying to keep my pack light and trying to save money as well. From what I’ve read on knives, the Mora Companion is a really good fixed blade knife for the money ($20), and then the Havalon Plastic Handled removable blade is a super cheap alternative ($3) to the more stylish removeable blade knives like the Tyto 1.1 and Kestrel, etc.

Does anyone agree with what I’ve read as far as the best bang for the buck and keeping it light? Are they good options to take care of an elk in the field?

View attachment 105084View attachment 105085
Mora's are great. I wouldn't hesitate to use it on your hunt.