Elk Knife Setup

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
that combination will work it is nice to have a replaceable blade knife as they are razor sharp just have a few extra blades and I use small pliers to change my piranta363DA3ED-5047-404E-A1FC-ED693753FEEF.jpegC1390EB2-8A1A-49F1-9C36-09F6DE20343C.jpeg as these surgical knives don’t let you make cutting mistakes on yourself and then a fixed blade on items not needing to be so sharp and you don’t have to be quite as careful not needed but my preference...

I bought the Havalon for my January deer hunt. Now come to find out, it may not exactly be ideal for elk. I got the one with the smallish surgical blades on one end, and the permanent blade on the other end. I think it's 2 or 3" long which I'm sure will probably be ok. I may buy one with different/longer blade(s) on it.

What I have now is probably sufficient and worked great on my deer.......

The Havalon works well but struggles to pop joints and stuff. Having a solid blade for that kind of work is worth while.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Haven't used for elk, but I've processed all matters of game in the Southeast with a Cold Steel Mini Pendleton hunter. It's small. Like 3 inch blade and 6.5 in overall. I can get it scary sharp and it stays that way. I plan to only carry that one blade out west this fall. But I'll have 3 other hunters with me, all carrying various knives.

Savage99

WKR
Which Mora are you guys running that use one? Stainless? High carbon?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimss

WKR
I've tried quite a few knives over the years. I've pretty much switched over to Outdoor Edge removable blade knives. They are one of the best blades I've ever used for caping game. Their edge even lasts well on thick hided species such as mtn goat. I do a lot of lifesized skins/capes, turkey skins, etc and they work super well. No problem gutting and boning out an elk. Their blades hold their edge well and I've never had a problem with them. The Outdoor Edge blades are a lot tougher than the Havolins I've used. In fact, I had a Havalon blade snap while in a super remote area in Alaska quite a few years ago and almost go into my arm.....I tossed it after that close encounter! I had several other Havalon blades snap befpre that....so knew it was time to search for a different knife.

2five7

WKR
I can't even remember how many animals, mostly Bull Elk, that I've done with my orange Havalon. It's the only knife I ever carry in the field, and I've never felt like I needed another one.

jolemons

WKR
Havalon/any other scalpel style handle and mora combo is solid, cheap and proven.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
smith777

smith777

Lil-Rokslider
Lots of good info, thanks for the responses guys.

To address a good question because I’m also curious, Carbon or Stainless Steel blade?

A great one knife option is a Cutco serrated. It is one of the most effective knives for elk or deer I have ever used. It works great. It just looks and feels like a piece of crap and I can't get myself to like it.

Yep, the Double D edge. I have had one since the late 1990s. Done alot of field dressing, probably cut through 40 sternums.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Mora companion stainless works well. I'm going to get a second one and try grinding the blade into a slight recurve to get more belly for skinning.

Dukejb

FNG
Last year I carried a Fallkniven F1 and an ulu style skinner. I will probably replace the ulu with a havalon this year, but the F1 is a great lightweight fixed blade.

bummer7580

Lil-Rokslider
I probably won't be real popular with the knife makers here but I just go to Walmart and pick up a contactor utility knife. Most allow you to exchange the blades if need. Blades are stored in the handle and take seconds to change. The knives are light and most can be bought for less than $10. Normally one blade is enough to gut, cape and quarter an elk. I have noticed on return hunts the guides I hunt with now are carrying utility knives.