Elk load for future hunt.

tammons

FNG
I plan to move out west in a year or two and do some hunting...

Right now, the rifles I mostly use for deer and hogs are a 6.5 creedmoor Savage, 7x57 Mauser on a 98 action, 9.3x62 on a 98 action. Also have a 30-06 Remington.

I also recently inherited a Weatherby Deluxe 270 Weatherby magnum, which is a really nice rifle. Beautiful really. And I dont mind the recoil. I have shot the weatherby a good bit, and loaded some hot light barnes rounds for it, just for S+G. But its just way overkill where and how I currently hunt so generally have used lighter rounds.

I was considering setting up a 284 or 280 to get used to it now, and for future Elk and maybe moose, as I prefer 7mm, although I would think the 9.3x62 would be a better moose round and also better for bear.

Anyway, the 7x57 Mauser can be loaded up with 160gr partitions, and should be fine for Elk out to 300-400 yards although a bit anemic.

Then I thought why not just load up the 270 Weatherby Magnum with some long partitions or barnes LRX bullets for Elk. Seems like that would be the best Elk gun I already own. What would be the best slippery bullet for the 270 Weatherby?

Since I already have brass and dies etc, I am thinking I would like to load up some heavy Elk-type rounds to try out for the next year or so.

The .30/06 has accounted for quite a few of my elk, works fine. .270Bee is a fine choice. About 25 elk ago I needed an excuse to buy a .338, sell the Bee and buy one too!

OP
T

tammons

FNG
One of my favorites was a 338-284 I built on a Savage action maybe 15 years ago. 19" barrel and it was a real hog whacker and snappy. Ran exclusively 210 TTSX and 160 TTSX bullets through it.
Then I tried a 338 WM, and really did not care for it. Maybe it was the stock I had but I found the recoil to be a bit much.
Sometime later, I set up a 22" bbl 375 Ruger on the same action with a Bell and Carlson stock, and I really liked that round with a heavy bullet, but like a dummy I sold the barrel.
Now I am content with the 9.3x62.

Boreal

WKR
In the 270 WBY, with a 1-10" twist, look at the 124 gr Hammer Hunters. Limited data for the 270 WBY, but good support from the folks at Hammer Bullets.