"Elk Load"

TRY

What do you think about using hornady 240gr xtp .44cal with a sabbot pistol bullet on elk , loaded with 120gr of triple seven ?

I also have some of the 300gr xtp bullets , we have taken some deer with the 240gr and seems to drop them in their tracks and the load is really accurate , im not sure if it would be good to go up to the heavier bullet . This will be the first time for elk with a muzzleloader and the hunt will be during the rut , I don't see us shooting over 150 yds . Have any of you taken elk with a load similar ?

BAKPAKR

I would recommend going with the 300 gr bullet. My brother hit a 6 point in the shoulder with a 240 gr Hornady and the bullet never made it into the chest cavity. Luckily, the bull stayed where it was and he got it on the second shot.

The bullet I have been most impressed with out of a muzzleloader is the 300 gr Swift A-frame. The bullet in the photo is from a strong quartering to me shot on a bull and I recovered the bullet in the hindquarter. By my next hunt, the regulations had changed and I could not use sabots.

7F558EA5-4853-4D3C-BC2B-497A8A9CD419.jpeg

StorMay05

I’ve used those bullets on deer as well and I wouldn’t use them for elk. I stopped using them cause, yes it will drop the deer, but the bullets blow up into a dozen fragments if they hit a bone. Even on small FL deer I feel like they’re marginal.

Can’t recommend a sabored elk bullet, I switched to lead conicals.

sabotloader

What do you think about using hornady 240gr xtp .44cal with a sabbot pistol bullet on elk , loaded with 120gr of triple seven ?

I also have some of the 300gr xtp bullets , we have taken some deer with the 240gr and seems to drop them in their tracks and the load is really accurate , im not sure if it would be good to go up to the heavier bullet . This will be the first time for elk with a muzzleloader and the hunt will be during the rut , I don't see us shooting over 150 yds . Have any of you taken elk with a load similar ?
XTP's have probably taken more game animals than any other bullet from a ML. I have used and they have worked but several years ago I moved away from regular copper/lead bullets and moved to the Lehigh brand bullets. They really have excellent Terminal Performance.

I would consider the 240 on the light side for and elk bullet and it could/would reduce your effective range a good deal.

Personally I am using a Lehigh .452x265CF-HP for elk during rifle season. In fact I do not even hunt with a center fire any longer - but I am old really old.

I am shooting a Knight Ultra Lite 50 cal. This is the rifle

You do not mention which rifle you are shooting but I assume something similar.

This is a copy of the ballistic sheet I prepared for the bullet when I testing it. This was shooting T7 - 120gr. by vol.

TomAZ

I’d go with a full bore bullet like a Thor. Yeah they are a little more expensive, but I trust them a lot more than a pistol bullet for penetration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

elkguide

I agree with what has been posted. I've taken a lot of deer with the 240's and for deer they work well but for elk I would want to have at least a 295 grain bullet.

timberbuck

Barnes TMZ or TEZ-which ever your gun likes best. Best muzzy bullets IMO, shoot flat and excellent performance.
250 or 300 grain will suffice on elk.

Last edited: