Elk Map Question

Jdog

WKR
Gents - brother and I drew WY bull elk tags. I have not hunted WY and we burned 5 pts to hunt this coming season. Uncle Sam moved me to FL 1.5 yrs ago from CO so scouting is not doable.

I was looking at buying a map or two for the unit we drew.

Was looking at Mytopo.com. Any of you guys purchase maps from them in the past?

Their standard GMU map is 1:100,000 if I am reading their site correctly.

What scale maps do you find most useful/applicable?

1:24,000?

thanks.

Last edited:

Whisky

WKR
MyTopo maps are good. I used one last year in WY. This week I've gotten 3 for MT in the mail so far, and this morning I ordered the 4th.

I also order maps from the Forest Service if you're hunting that sort of ground. They do show some things like roads and trails quite a bit better than MyTopo.

rumlor

FNG
1:24 is good. You can also have them add the UTM grid lines. Make sure you choose the shaded relief option. It makes the terrain stand out better.

huntwest

Lil-Rokslider
We ordered a custom map from my topo company in 1:24 last year you are able to get an arial view overlayed onto the topo map which is a nice feature. I would also contact the BLM office and order a map from them. I just ordered a couple maps for I think 4 dollars each. I also found a website that I was able to order a free map showing all the atv roads for the bighorns. I'm finding this map useful for finding places they are not allowed.

ElkNut1

WKR
1:24000 is definitely what you want, any larger & you don't get the proper feel of the lay of the land. I agree too that you want UTM Grid not Lon/Lat. UTM is much better for ground navigation as this is what most surveyors use. Set your GPS to UPS/UTM under menu/settings & Nad-Conus 83 or whatever your maps suggest on lower left corner. Now your GPS will read the map margin numbers, it's extremely accurate this way as far as exact position to where you're at on the map.

ElkNut1

TJ

WKR
Another + for mytopo.com. Yuo can customize these maps anyway you like. They have fast service and quality maps.

Jelf

FNG
Anyone can use Gmap4 to do 'desk' scouting. The following link shows high resolution 1:24,000 topos (they cover the USA) centered on Pat O'Hara Peak a bit west of Cody, Wyoming. The map also has a UTM grid.

http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php?utm=12N,628909,4946469&t=t4&z=14&coord=utm

You can change the amount of hill shading or turn it off.
Menu ==> Hill shading.

To flip to the Google aerial click "t4 Topo High" (upper right corner) and select one of the "Aerial Google" choices.

The Gmap4 homepage has a FAQ, examples, quick start info (in the Help file) and more to quickly get you up to speed.

Gmap4 default map: http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php

Gmap4 homepage: http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.html

Joseph, the Gmap4 guy
Redmond, WA

crumy

WKR
JDOG. I sent you a PM a while back. I can run into to the US Geo Service office for you and pick up a map from there as well. The are the 7.5 minute maps (1:24000). I have never used the mytopo maps (since I live withing 2 miles of the USGS office) but if they go ahead and UTM on for you that may be better. I have to use a straightedge and to put the lines on the maps I get.

But also the DIY maps are awesome for finding shutdown roads and areas with foot traffic only.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Gents - brother and I drew WY bull elk tags. I have not hunted WY and we burned 5 pts to hunt this coming season. Uncle Sam moved me to FL 1.5 yrs ago from CO so scouting is not doable.

I was looking at buying a map or two for the unit we drew.

Was looking at Mytopo.com. Any of you guys purchase maps from them in the past?

Their standard GMU map is 1:100,000 if I am reading their site correctly.

What scale maps do you find most useful/applicable?

1:24,000?

thanks.

You know you can't read a map anyway!

Did you buy a new GPS yet? Your old model had issues if memory serves me correctly:)

Rocky

WKR
I use the nat geo mapping software. I have it for or, wa, and looking at buying it for co. It is about 100 bucks but you can draw your route and mark areas on the map while looking at it on the computer. Then you can export the map to your GPS. Your route and marked area will be saved with GPS coordinates to your GPS. Likewise when you are in the field and you save a track or waypoints you can export them to your computer. You also print the maps out as you need them. There is no limit on how many maps you can print out.

OP
Jdog

Jdog

WKR
You know you can't read a map anyway!

Did you buy a new GPS yet? Your old model had issues if memory serves me correctly:)

Negative G-rider...but its on my list!

Hey...that night on the mountain sucked...especially dropping off the cliff in the pitch black..."Where the #$%@ is the tent Jay?!"

But the payoff of was good...
IMG_0506.jpg

And the occassional Rocky Mtn foothills griz always lifts the spirits...
brown.jpg

Last edited: