Elk Movement

I’m headed to SW CO for first rifle and looks like snow is coming in.

I’ve never hunted in snow and was reading about elk movement and it seems like it takes a good amount of snow to move them down. More than one would expect.

Does anyone have experience with snow right before a hunt and how the animals responded? I’m thinking they will still be high and by the time it goes through they will be ready to be active by the opening day on Saturday.

Curious what others have experience as this is new to me. Thanks!

Interesting do they move pretty quick after the snow?
Elk do what elk do, and we will never know why. I look in terms of tendencies, and I can only speak for the areas I hunt. Typically the first big snow will get them moving (that was today for us, so I got to go glass a few ridges in a couple hours). By moving I mean out in the open more during light hours, and generally moving to areas with less snow. Again, tendencies are not laws and I've seen snow do absolutely nothing too.

OP
Kyle Wheeler
Elk do what elk do, and we will never know why. I look in terms of tendencies, and I can only speak for the areas I hunt. Typically the first big snow will get them moving (that was today for us, so I got to go glass a few ridges in a couple hours). By moving I mean out in the open more during light hours, and generally moving to areas with less snow. Again, tendencies are not laws and I've seen snow do absolutely nothing too.
Makes sense thank you! I assume there is always an exception and this is very helpful! Appreciate you sharing!

Tobe_B

Lil-Rokslider
We aren’t getting enough snow for it to matter. I wouldn’t change your plans based on the snow. Bring warm clothes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marble

WKR
I’m headed to SW CO for first rifle and looks like snow is coming in.

I’ve never hunted in snow and was reading about elk movement and it seems like it takes a good amount of snow to move them down. More than one would expect.

Does anyone have experience with snow right before a hunt and how the animals responded? I’m thinking they will still be high and by the time it goes through they will be ready to be active by the opening day on Saturday.

Curious what others have experience as this is new to me. Thanks!
Do a little search through the forums and there is a some good info here to cover your question. Basically, there are many more circumstances besides snow that will get them to move around.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

intunegp

WKR
As others have said, the front moving through this week likely won't dump enough or accumulate enough to change the elevation range the elk are hanging out in. The temperature swing might be enough to get them up and grazing in the sun during daylight hours since it has been significantly warmer over the past several weeks. I hunt wintering grounds/migratory routes as well and while it is not like the herd runs through when the first snowflake falls, it always seems to increase activity. Maybe just 'cause I can see them better 💁‍♂️

KBrangers

FNG
We got our first snow over the last few days. On my drive to work today I saw them out on the flats. Before the snow they were closer to the foothills. I wonder what will happen when all the snow melts this weekend.

cgasner1

WKR
Haven’t hunted where your headed but a uneducated guess would be pressure from people will be a far greater impact than the snow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A few years ago, archery hunting in September, got about 6-8” snow around 9000’. All the elk moved UP. Was in elk from 8-9000’ prior to snow, then they all moved up to 10k. Reason? Pressure. Everyone that was hunting high bailed to lower elevations to get out the snow. The pressure pushed them up. Prior to the snow, no fresh sign at 10k plus. After the snow, tons of elk and sign at 10k and higher.

Hunting pressure plays a huge role. All those high camps came back to the trailheads for fear of being stuck.