Elk/Muley chasing gear for Missoula

I have been researching camo for quite some time, from patterns to fabrics/cost/availability etc etc for chasing after elk and muleys out in Missoula. I love my ASAT 3D Leafy suit for whitetail hunting, but it is rather noisy going thru brush etc. Great for treestand or natural ground blind hunting however! I am trying to decide between the ASAT Elite Ultimate with First Lite as a base layer, the Kryptek Highlander jacket and pants, or a system based on KUIU. I rode the Realtree and Scent-Lok train for too long before I did my own research and critical thinking. The system I am interested in at the moment doesn't involve gear for when its raining, thats later on down the road for me. I do not prefer Sitka gear due to the price, and I'm not fond of the camo pattern, nor am I interested in wool as an outer layer for this style of hunting. What do you guys and gals use if I may ask? I have put this question on other sites and have gotten less than desirable recommendations, any help will be appreciated, unfortunately I cannot try for myself the KUIU or ASAT clothing due to them not being sold nearby or in stores at all. Thanks for all your help!

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wear mostly KUIU. Love it. However I don't think you can go wrong with First Lite, Kryptek or KUIU. All 3 have proven themselves lately I think.

dotman

WKR
I wear mostly KUIU. Love it. However I don't think you can go wrong with First Lite, Kryptek or KUIU. All 3 have proven themselves lately I think.

X2...I have mostly first lite but use the Kuiu attack pant, just ordered some kryptek. Probably will like the kryptek as well as I like the others.

Pick your favorite and run with It or mix and match like I do :)

OP
Jacob Chapman
Well that's good news I suppose! I am excited to go to the nearest Cabelas (2 hours :/ away) to try out the Kryptek. I think I prefer the KUIU pattern the most, but then again ASAT has really proven itself in whitetail hunting....but the Kryptek looks very effective as well....haha

I wouldn't worry about camo pattern so much. It really doesn't make a whole lot of difference. It is infinitely more important to keep the wind in your favor and keep unnatural movements to a minumum. In choosing hunting clothes, worry more about material and fit than camo.

Start with a good merino wool baselayer. It won't stink like synthetic clothing does after a day or two of hunting. Synthetic and merino wool are both good choices for a midlayer. Get a good softshell jacket and you will be well on your way. First Lite, Kuiu, Core4Element, Sitka, and Kryptek are all companies.

What is wrong with Cabelas MT050 gear, like their rain pant and jacket? How is FL or KUIU gear better?

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
the Kuiu stuff is way lighter, and it has a direct venting membrane, so it will breathe much better.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
The KUIU line is very comfortable and most of it wears very well. I own the various merino tops, guide jacket, guide pants and attack pants.
The various merino tops do as they are designed, keep you warm &or remove sweat from your body. That being said other than the new 230 base layer that has polyester in it, the tops are not extremely durable, especially the 185 zip (this is a great top but if warn alone it will snag easily). The guide jacket sheds rain well, but if raining the entire day it will eventually leak. This is my go to jacket, unless I expect it to be raining hard throughout the day and then I will go to something else. The attack pants are extremely comfortable and the newer edition comes with leg zips. These are my favorite go to pants until the temp drop into the 20's and then I will go with the guide pant. The guide pants are not water proof, but shed rain and snow very well. I wore these pants throughout November this fall in Nwest Montana in place of my wool. The pants are very durable for normal use, but as I found out on a very steep Montana hillside, don't slide in them or you may rip them on rocks you cannot see:). As Matt noted the KUIU is light, breathes very well, is durable, but for it's lightness factor there is a tradeoff at times. You will enjoy the KUIU system should you choose to purchase it.

RUTTIN

WKR
Core4Element has served me well last season, and is fairly affordable compared to some of the other companies, just something you may want to check out.

OP
Jacob Chapman
I really like my ASAT leafy suit for whitetail hunting, its served me very well. I really want the KUIU system the only reason I was considering the others was the price of the KUIU.

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
Core4Element has served me well last season, and is fairly affordable compared to some of the other companies, just something you may want to check out.

+1 on the Core4Element. I have merino top & bottom I wear with my KUIU.

jmez

WKR
Core4 merino base layers

Sitka mountain pants and the rest of my gear is Kryptek. I don't like any of the Kryptek pants when compared to the Sitka Ascent or Mountain pant. They don't even compare. Camo pattern doesn't really matter out west IMO, find stuff that fits you well, is comfortable, quick drying and provides warmth without bulk and weight.

OP
Jacob Chapman
I bought some Cabelas ECWCS in Polar weight, very very warm merino wool, works nice in the treestand. Is there a certain gram weight of merino wool that you guys prefer for stalking in 25 degree+ weather?

+1 on the Core4Element. I have merino top & bottom I wear with my KUIU.

I have become a first lite junkie so thats all i use anymore. My buddy uses core 4 element stuff and it is perfectly functional.....especially for the price. I prefer the firstlite though because the breathablity on the outerlayers and i swear they used me for the model on the medium sizes because everything fits me perfectly. You really are going to want to use merino for your outerlayers. Those synthetics are cold when its cold and hot when its hot unless you have some merino at least under them.