Elk Newbie - Critique my gear list

cbiddle

Lil-Rokslider
Leave the Bic lighters at home and get 2 of the wind proof butane lighters. Crocs are awesome take them. I usually tie them on the outside of my pack with a price of paracord. A few trioxane tablets instead of Vaseline and cotton balls. Less messy and they will burn in the pouring down rain. Other than that sounds like you got it covered well! Good luck man!

smartweed

FNG
Cotton balls with Vaseline have a duel purpose, you can use the Vaseline in them on your lips or hands if needed, something to consider. But trioxane is super good at what it does.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

Not sure if someone mentioned it but I would bring a 2L platy bottle in case you have to camp without a water source nearby.

Ruskin

WKR
kinesio tape. It's good to cover hot spots on your feet. Packs w weight is so different than flat ground.

Akicita

WKR
For fuel canisters I wouldn't bring more than 2.
I'm a 2 headlamp person.. and I don't bring spare batteries unless it's a long trip.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I highly agree with Jordan on both of these items.

Yes you can get by without these but morale and efficiency take a big hit when a headlamp goes down or you run out of cooking fuel. I always pack two headlamps with fresh batteries and more fuel than I know I will need.

I was planning on just drinking mountain water and eating berries, is that a good idea? :)

J/K, yes I have a whole food list but I left that out. I am a very well controlled diabetic on pump therapy so I have to taylor my food intake a bit. My BIL who is going with me is a Phys Assist so that is the only reason the wife finally allowed me to plan this trip without worrying her head off.

I have the CO OnX Maps for my Garmin GPS. My BIL will have a Garmin InReach for texting our spouses updates and where abouts.

Leukotape, I use an insulin pump and I'm always worried about the infusion set coming out from sweat or from rubbing. Once I started using leukotape it wasn't an issue. That stuff just stays, plus you can use it for lots of other things. I would not unroll it and wrap it around something else for later use, it doesn't seem to come off as easily the second time around.

gabenzeke

WKR
I messaged you but not sure it worked. T1 diabetic here also and went on my first trip last year. Don't forget glucagon and make sure your partner can use it. Only other thought I can add is that middle of the night lows suck. Trying to find your food and taking it down from a tree while low can be tough. May have to give your buddy a heads up and ask for help. I took a spill in the dark. No worse for the wear, just something to consider.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Have you filtered a half gallon of water through a sawyer squeeze?.....I would try that before relying on it...trust me...

I only take me leatherman with me. I skin and quarter with that.

Also, Put 6 or 8 zip ties and a small roll of electrical tape in your pack....I use that stuff all the time.

SquidHC

Lil-Rokslider
Maybe it's just the medic in me, or the MacGyver, but I'd hit your local farm supply and get a few suture kits and some inject-able lidocaine (can buy OTC for farm stock, but is same stuff as hospitals use). Depends how far back you are going, but I consider it a must have in my med kit.

OP
whaack

whaack

WKR
I messaged you but not sure it worked. T1 diabetic here also and went on my first trip last year. Don't forget glucagon and make sure your partner can use it. Only other thought I can add is that middle of the night lows suck. Trying to find your food and taking it down from a tree while low can be tough. May have to give your buddy a heads up and ask for help. I took a spill in the dark. No worse for the wear, just something to consider.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

My hunting partner is my BIL and also a PA. Only way the wife would sign off on a DIY backcountry hunt. .

JakeC

FNG
Great post. Should be a very good starting point for my list. I have a long way to go but luckily I have about 17 months to get there :D Good luck on your hunt!

MtnHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Great post. Sounds like you have quite the adventure coming up!

Like some others have said, food will take up a lot of weight and space, and always surprises me just how much. Congrats on getting your gear down to 30-35 pounds. That's indeed ultra-light for a 6 day hunt!

I save a little food weight by portioning mass gainer protein powder into baggies. I found it's hard to force myself to eat enough trail mix and bars to get the calories needed to be productive in the backcountry, whereas "drinking" 1000 calories is a quick and easy way to force calories into my system, at a very light weight. Plus, supplementing with bcaa's will help your body recover quicker.