Elk novice Archery during the rut or rifle post rut?

I'm starting to plan my first elk hunt. It'll probably be an otc hunt in Colorado or Idaho, probably truck camp and will be with my wife. Got a couple ideas for units, but I'm not sure if we'd be better to go archery and have the benefit of peak rut or go during rifle and hunt the post rut without bugling as a way to locate animals. what do you guys think? I've shot a fair amount of whitetails with a bow, but I know nothing of calling elk, and debating on spending the money on elk 101 as it seems more geared at archery during the rut? I'd be really happy with a cow and would probably buy a cow tag if we go during rifle.

thanks

TheCougar

WKR
Pick your poison. Archery is tougher hunting but fewer people (relatively) and weather is better. Late season it’s a zoo with all the hunters and the weather will be colder. Honestly, if you’re fine with a cow hunt, you might have a better hunt forking out a little cash to hunt cows on private via a landowner tag or trespass fee. You won’t have to deal with the public land crowding and you’ll probably see more animals. It’ll set you back a little more, but might be worth consideration. The other alternative is to hire a guide. You’ll skip the first three years of learning by spending a week with a guide... just be prepared to have a tough hunt- ID and CO in particular are swamped with people in the OTC hunts, and the success rates are around 10%. There are a lot of threads in the elk forum with statements like “finally got it done on year 5!” You might get lucky, but find other ways to stack the odds in your favor.

WildBear

FNG
In the same boat Cedarsavage. Thinking OTC archery elk in ID. Elk101 would be good along with the ElkShape Podcast. Archery elk is tough but man it’s Fun! Filled a couple tags here in WA and have blown some chances. Best wishes with your adventure

There are guys in bow and gun who consistently kill elk. But they are not rookies. They know elk and their areas extremely well. But numbers don’t lie. Overall statewide success rates are 1/3 or 1/4 in archery season of what they are in rifle. The reasons are obvious. Lots more can go wrong when you’re trying to close the distance to bow range. The weather is nicer in bow season... USUALLY. And nothing is more fun and entertaining as bugling bulls. But if you’re new to elk hunting and you really want to kill elk start out rifle hunting. Oh yeah... people aren’t everywhere. Be prepared to go the extra mile to find pockets to call your own. Isn’t that what the elk do? Yep!

fatlander

WKR
Archery hunts begin where most rifle hunts end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cnelk

WKR
There are units in Colorado that have an E/S tag for 1st rifle.
You can get the best of all worlds - limited entry, bugling, rifle hunt, and be able to shoot a cow or bull.

Do some research and get a PP or two

OP
C
You can get the best of all worlds - limited entry, bugling, rifle hunt, and be able to shoot a cow or bull.

What is an e/s tag? I will have one point going into this actually planning on 2021 so I will have one point for Colorado, 1 for Arizona and two for Wyoming. My plan was do a couple years of otc then be at a point where we can rotate between the 3 for a limited entry almost every year. My thought was use otc to learn but if I can get a first rifle sooner maybe that will help the learning curve? My wife doesn’t hunt but has recently gotten into fitness and wants to go for the experience. She has some back issues so we’re not sure if she can handle carrying camp every day. For 2020 we’re planning a backpack whitetail Hunt here in Michigan as a dry run to test gear and see where her back is on all this.

OP
C
Pick your poison. Archery is tougher hunting but fewer people (relatively) and weather is better. Late season it’s a zoo with all the hunters and the weather will be colder. Honestly, if you’re fine with a cow hunt, you might have a better hunt forking out a little cash to hunt cows on private via a landowner tag or trespass fee. You won’t have to deal with the public land crowding and you’ll probably see more animals. It’ll set you back a little more, but might be worth consideration. The other alternative is to hire a guide. You’ll skip the first three years of learning by spending a week with a guide... just be prepared to have a tough hunt- ID and CO in particular are swamped with people in the OTC hunts, and the success rates are around 10%. There are a lot of threads in the elk forum with statements like “finally got it done on year 5!” You might get lucky, but find other ways to stack the odds in your favor.
How do you find landowners for this and what is the going rate for cow trespass? I have a seek outside teepee with stove and maybe able to borrow a wall tent if that makes a difference. I would think during rifle seasons you probably want a stove right?

First rifle, either sex. Good weather and scenery (maybe). The only downside is that you only have five days.

My lady has no interest in freezing half to death for a late season cow but she likes hiking around in October.

If you do it right you can probably get a tag and keep your point. Or use it and guarantee your ticket.

Wrench

WKR
Don't think elk won't bugle in the rifle or even late season, the difference is that itis on their terms only. Idaho won't force you to choose a season, so just use up about 60 vacation days and hunt all seasons......that's about the closest thing to guaranteed thing as you can get.

Success is in the eye of the beholder. I have killed a lot of critters, and I used to gauge success on the end result. At the current phase of my hunting career, I find success in learning and interactive experience with my quarry.

Don't think the pics posted on every forum are the baseline, a lot of guys can take weeks or even seasons off to hunt and have a different income level to work with.

To get started, pick a unit, buy a tag and burn your vacation. Don't get discouraged, don't go 3 days deep.....stay mobile. Hunt all day and listen all night. Pick up on the common tips you hear....and make sure it's fun.

Wyoming... all of September for archery and a month of rifle hunting beginning in September all with one license. Either sex elk too! Top that!

wytx

WKR
Cow tag in Wyoming might get you hunting in Aug if you want and they are a random draw. Also valid during rifle season as stated above.

^^^ Yeah. Go to Wyoming!
You live in Colorado Brad. That’s why you are successful. But it’s no place for a rookie to get started. 80+% of my clients have struck out there before buying a hunt plan from me in Wyoming or Montana. I’ve sold plans to Colorado residents!

That thread that says “6 years to kill my first elk” is undoubtedly from a Colorado hunter. Nobody hunts Wyoming nearly that long to kill a COW. I know other guys doing ok down there but like you they’re not beginners. I just try to give people the best advice I can.

Don't think elk won't bugle in the rifle or even late season, the difference is that itis on their terms only. Idaho won't force you to choose a season, so just use up about 60 vacation days and hunt all seasons......that's about the closest thing to guaranteed thing as you can get.

Success is in the eye of the beholder. I have killed a lot of critters, and I used to gauge success on the end result. At the current phase of my hunting career, I find success in learning and interactive experience with my quarry.

Don't think the pics posted on every forum are the baseline, a lot of guys can take weeks or even seasons off to hunt and have a different income level to work with.

To get started, pick a unit, buy a tag and burn your vacation. Don't get discouraged, don't go 3 days deep.....stay mobile. Hunt all day and listen all night. Pick up on the common tips you hear....and make sure it's fun.

This is false about Idaho. 99% of units you have to choose between archery or any weapon seasons. Montana and Wyoming are different.

OP
C
I'll have two points in Wyoming by that point it sounds like that is enough for a general tag? I've considered just getting a cow tag there to get our feet wet and draw a bull later, but it sounds like a general tag isn't all that difficult to draw. I guess that would take care of time frame dilemna. Go the week of September 15 and go back for a week in rifle. I have enough vacation time to do that. How difficult is to get in elk and stay out of grizzly territory? That is something she isn't a fan of.

Your success rate might be higher if you hunt rifle season, but if I were taking MY wife I would probably choose archery. It will be a gamble whether it is 70 degrees or 20 and snowing during 1st rifle. I started archery hunting here in CO because September in the mountains is pretty amazing, good weather, good views, bugles, it's fun stuff. If the funds allow for it, I would pick up an either sex deer tag for the same unit if possible. I always see a lot more deer than elk archery hunting and it would increase your chances of going home with meat. You can also shoot grouse which you are likely to eventually encounter. If you decide to do archery, learn to call sooner than later