Elk novice Archery during the rut or rifle post rut?

cnelk

WKR
I was totally serious about Wyoming in my above post. I hunt it every chance I get. WYO General elk areas are like Limited Entry in Colorado.
Pronghorn hunting is WAAAY better in Wyoming too.

I second the post about picking up an additional deer tag with your OTC elk tag. I failed to do that this year...saw 1 elk over the week I was there but had an opportunity at deer everyday.

I second the post about picking up an additional deer tag with your OTC elk tag. I failed to do that this year...saw 1 elk over the week I was there but had an opportunity at deer everyday.

I did that this year, wish I had that money back. Saw a fork horn and tons of doe but nothing worth shooting.

OP
C
Thanks for the info I’ll make sure n apply for deer. Kinda had that in the back of my mind but now I definitely will

OP
C
Your success rate might be higher if you hunt rifle season, but if I were taking MY wife I would probably choose archery. It will be a gamble whether it is 70 degrees or 20 and snowing during 1st rifle. I started archery hunting here in CO because September in the mountains is pretty amazing, good weather, good views, bugles, it's fun stuff. If the funds allow for it, I would pick up an either sex deer tag for the same unit if possible. I always see a lot more deer than elk archery hunting and it would increase your chances of going home with meat. You can also shoot grouse which you are likely to eventually encounter. If you decide to do archery, learn to call sooner than later
What’s the weather typically like in mid September. Probably be good to be prepared for snow up to 70 degrees right?

both seasons pose some pros and cons worth noting. Any hunter that consistently kills during either is worth listening to.

Archery elk are difficult to kill for the obvious reasons (wind, effective range, less effective weapon, etc...)

My experience is post rut elk (even though a few might be bugling yet) are some of the hardest to consistently kill.... especially in mid october when the weather is generally nicer. They go to bed early and come out late, and very seldom is there enough weather to get them on their feet for more than the morning/evening shifts. That said, they don't refer to a gun as an equalizer for no reason.....

pick your poison, do as much research as possible and just go. The first years will be a steep steep learning curve, successful ro not.