Elk outfitter/2023

Went to Utah on a swap hunt deal in sept. We saw 1 elk and rode around a ton. Would not say it was a terrible experience, but not fully what I hoped/expected. It was supposed to of been a birthday trip for my 40th, but my wife said since it was a bad experience I need to go again. I have a couple points Wyoming, 1 Montana, and contemplating putting in with a buddy in Wyoming with his 7 points. Only issue is he is older, can’t walk much and wants rifle. I’m ok with rifle but definitely want to kill an elk. It’s addicting, I know, but this will probably be my one and done until my son gets drawn for some. I’m looking for a honest/great outfitter with higher odds. Prefer Wyoming if we get drawn, but will look anywhere. I know the cost, but I had 4k in everything on this hunt and it was a bust.
Any good outfits y’all have dealt with and any where you will be in the bulls?
Diy isn’t off the table, but looking at outfits now.

wytx

WKR
Your combined PP will get you into a General area.
There are some outfits in General areas that have both mountain hunts and ranch hunts. You may find an outfitter that can take you up into the mountains while your friend hunts the ranch meadows.
I know at least a couple over by Saratoga, Wy can do this.
Next year may be hard to book though, get on it now.

OP
H
You know any that have mule deer hunting while elk hunting? Well I’m guessing I need to see how that goes. He wants a mulie and I want elk. So that would work good if he can hunt ranch and me mountain for elk.

OP
H
You know any that have mule deer hunting while elk hunting? Well I’m guessing I need to see how that goes. He wants a mulie and I want elk. So that would work good if he can hunt ranch and me mountain for elk

I’ll give you an opinion on MT…
There is a silver lining from last year’s experience. You know that it’s better to potentially wait, save a little more, do a little more research, then go all in. Most importantly, you want to get something for your money. A unique experience/service. Where I’m going with this, is DO NOT get talked into an Outfitter in the Western 1/3 of MT. Period. You will hope to see a raghorn and park at the same gated road or trailhead as everyone else. You simply do not get anywhere near the service that you’ll be paying for.
Where can you get a unique service/experience? If I was a nonresident willing to save up for 1 really good trip… I’d look at Central MT. Private land, or FS ground that is landlocked by large private parcels. Look at White Sulphur Springs and radiate out from there. I don’t have experience with a specific Outfitter, I’m sure someone on here does.
You can pay 8-10k and follow some kid that’s never killed an elk out a gated road, or you can save a little more and hunt some country where access is restricted and you have a legitimate chance at a mature bull and/or mulie.
Those are my thoughts. Just be careful with your money and truly GET something for your money. There are good bulls, in some nice country in Central MT. You will pay for it, but you are getting a unique service and experience for your money.

Montana General tag option, $$:

Could probably get in on some good WY ranch hunts with a 4.5 point avg between you and your buddy. I don't know enough to be certain on recommendations. What I wouldn't do is hire any WY outfitter that sent emails to their customers to ask them to advocate for outfitter tag allotments.

Elite7

FNG
I would second doing better research and not worry about it being in 2023. Most of the top outfitters will be booked up a few years

You know any that have mule deer hunting while elk hunting? Well I’m guessing I need to see how that goes. He wants a mulie and I want elk. So that would work good if he can hunt ranch and me mountain for elk.
Have you decided on an outfitter yet? If not i have a recommendation, they have some spots open for 2023 and 2024, killed a few 190” muleys last year while elk hunting. message me if you wanna talk more

sneaky

"DADDY"
Looks like the OP hasn't been on since October

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I have no idea about availability or which tag you would need, but my buddy runs a solid operation in Wyoming. It's a backcountry, horsepacking style trip. It sounds like their success rate is pretty solid, but pretty serious bear country. DM if you want his contact info. Might be worth a conversation at the minimum. He will shoot you straight

Brian77

FNG
Have you decided on an outfitter yet? If not i have a recommendation, they have some spots open for 2023 and 2024, killed a few 190” muleys last year while elk hunting. message me if you wanna talk more
Greetings. I would like to hear more about that