Elk Outfitters for young handicap hunter

Hi guys, I’m looking for suggestions on outfitters that have experience or open to taking a handicapped hunter out. My nephew will be turning 12 next year and some people did a fundraiser to take him on an elk rifle hunt so we are looking for options.

I’m heading out to the outdoor show on Wednesday to see what I can come up with but thought maybe you guys had some ideas on outfitters to check out. I will say we aren’t looking for any fenced type hunt. Also open to suggestions on things I should be asking potential outfitters about for the hunt besides the accessibility issues we will have to work around.

Some info that was suggested to add- our budget is 10-12k at this time, maybe a little more if needed. Mobility limitations are he uses two crutches to get around, obviously we can’t hike back in 5-10 miles and hunt but as long as we can get to within 1-2 miles of where we need to be, he can walk or I can carry him to get it done. We aren’t opposed to hunting from a blind but we also don’t want to sit and hunt from one for 5 days. As far as bull size, I think something around the 300ish mark. While this isn’t a once in a lifetime hunt for him it’s something that’s just not going to happen often. If need be we can expend the budget to get to the 300 mark but I feel for that price range it should be doable so correct me if I’m wrong.

Attachments

• AA81698D-80A4-4B3D-805F-79D350F9E647.jpeg
    AA81698D-80A4-4B3D-805F-79D350F9E647.jpeg
    432.2 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

2five7

WKR
1. What is your budget?
2. What are the young mans mobility limitations like?
3. What type of trophy size are you looking for?

These questions, answered honestly, will get you to the right outfitter.

OP
L
1. What is your budget?
2. What are the young mans mobility limitations like?
3. What type of trophy size are you looking for?

These questions, answered honestly, will get you to the right outfitter.

Thanks for the suggestions, I updated my post with the info

Laramie

WKR
This is worth taking a look at - https://www.wyomingdisabledhunters.org/

I know of several outfitters that would do a great job with him but he wouldn't be able to draw without preference points in Wyoming. They are cheap for youth so I suggest you start buying some for him.

I just found out a few months ago my son has a serious handicap that will limit him going forward. I have done quite a bit of research- glad to share via PM if you want to chat more.

2five7

WKR
Thanks for the suggestions, I updated my post with the info
Your budget and expectations are realistic, for a chance at a 300 class Bull, just keep in mind there is a huge cost difference to have a chance at that size of Bull, vs hunting a place that kills that size bulls on average. You're on the right track though, good luck!

OP
L
This is worth taking a look at - https://www.wyomingdisabledhunters.org/

I know of several outfitters that would do a great job with him but he wouldn't be able to draw without preference points in Wyoming. They are cheap for youth so I suggest you start buying some for him.

I just found out a few months ago my son has a serious handicap that will limit him going forward. I have done quite a bit of research- glad to share via PM if you want to chat more.
Thank you, I ran across New Mexico options for disabled hunters but hadn’t see this for Wyoming.

Sorry to hear that about your son, it sure can hit you hard. No one ever wants to receive that kinda news but as Im sure you’ll find out in your journey, your going to meet a lot of great people who’s generosity and kindness will amaze you. And while you might be limited in things you can do, you’ll be surprised by how much ingenuity you’ll come up with to make things work so you can do things you didn’t think you could. Yes if you don’t mind sharing I’d be more then interested. I have some info as well but idk how well it will serve you as it’s mostly for western pa.

OP
L
Your budget and expectations are realistic, for a chance at a 300 class Bull, just keep in mind there is a huge cost difference to have a chance at that size of Bull, vs hunting a place that kills that size bulls on average. You're on the right track though, good luck!
Ill be honest I didn’t really think about the chance at one vs taking an average bull like that. Obviously getting any decent mature bull elk on the ground is the main goal regardless of the inches. In your opinion what’s the cost difference between and outfitter offering a chance and one that averages?

OP
L
In for a look at suggestions
I am slightly handicapped and went to Trinidad Co , private land
they had a other handicaped hunters there
Thanks I’ll look into them, if I find any good info at the outdoor show I’ll let you know

Man I wish I could help but you’d need a good number of Wyoming points. Just wanted to put it out there that I bet you would both be happy with a 270-280 inch bull. The one on the right in my avatar is only 260. Good luck!!!!

Jkr61

FNG
Just a thought but all of the “Ranching for Wildlife” ranches in Colorado have unlimited tags for clients. There are no points needed. Three Forks is one of those properties but their is around a dozen or so of them I’m sure one of them could probably take care of your nephew.

2five7

WKR
Ill be honest I didn’t really think about the chance at one vs taking an average bull like that. Obviously getting any decent mature bull elk on the ground is the main goal regardless of the inches. In your opinion what’s the cost difference between and outfitter offering a chance and one that averages?
Id estimate a "chance at" type hunt would run in the 8-10k range, and the "expect to kill" type hunt would be 11-14k. Obviously I don't know what every outfitter in the country charges, but that should be close for a "guaranteed tag available" type of hunt.

wytx

WKR
Spur Outfitters in NW Colorado might be able to help you, they are RFW too.

OP
L
Man I wish I could help but you’d need a good number of Wyoming points. Just wanted to put it out there that I bet you would both be happy with a 270-280 inch bull. The one on the right in my avatar is only 260. Good luck!!!!
Thank you, Yea we are pretty much going to have to go with landowner or guide tags I know for this hunt. We’d defiantly be happy with anything mature bull.

OP
L
Just a thought but all of the “Ranching for Wildlife” ranches in Colorado have unlimited tags for clients. There are no points needed. Three Forks is one of those properties but their is around a dozen or so of them I’m sure one of them could probably take care of your nephew.
Thank you, I’ll check into some of the other Ranching for wildlife outfitters. I looked into Three Forks but there additional per person per day rate puts it out of our budget currently.

OP
L
Id estimate a "chance at" type hunt would run in the 8-10k range, and the "expect to kill" type hunt would be 11-14k. Obviously I don't know what every outfitter in the country charges, but that should be close for a "guaranteed tag available" type of hunt.
Thanks, that give me an idea on what I’m looking at when they start talking prices and success rates