Elk Pastrami

By far one of the best ways to enjoy some elk meat, simple wet brine for 10 days then smoker. The first meal with the thin sliced meat was Rueben sandwiches, I made some home made sour krout and thousand island dressing. Best sandwich ive had in years.

Attachments

• 2017 hunts 108.jpg
    2017 hunts 108.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 104
  • 2017 hunts 109.jpg
    2017 hunts 109.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 86

JPHuntingAUS

Lil-Rokslider
Looks unreal mate, definitely need to try that one day

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Scoony

Lil-Rokslider
Cool, I have made pastrami with beef, but never game meat. Will have to give it a try this year. I used Emeril Lagasse's recipe which was great.

OP
MULEPACKHUNTER
Brine is as follows,,,
1/2 cup salt and 1/2 cup pink cure salt and 1 cup sugar dissolved in water of the amount to cover the meat in a stock pot
Equal amounts of the following (about 1 tsp each)
All spice
Whole cloves
Bay leaves
Cinnamon stick
Ginger
Mace
Pink cure salt
Coriander
Mustard seed
Heat all this in a pan then crush under a pan or grind and add to brine
Add meat to brine when cooled and place in fridge for 10 to 12 days

92xj

WKR
Looks great.
Odd that your brine didn't completely make it after 10 days. I did my last roast for 7 days and my brine made it all the way to the middle. Sadly there is no way to know until cutting open.

Scoony

Lil-Rokslider
That seems to be quite a bit of pink salt. Too much of that stuff is actually poisonous. Just need enough to keep the bacteria at bay.
When I cure bacon, I am only using maybe a 1/2 teaspoon of the pink salt to 1/2 cup of salt.

Trial153

WKR
Cure to 1 gallon of water for brine is 4oz or 1/2 cup for brining hams or bacon

Last edited:
That seems to be quite a bit of pink salt. Too much of that stuff is actually poisonous. Just need enough to keep the bacteria at bay.
When I cure bacon, I am only using maybe a 1/2 teaspoon of the pink salt to 1/2 cup of salt.

I was thinking the same thing. That seems like a lot.

OP
MULEPACKHUNTER
The measurements are what I ran and Im still alive soooo?
Ive been using 1 cup salt to 1 cup sugar for bringing turkeys and chickens for years
some recepe do call for less pink salt (sodium nitrate) but it wasn't an issue, also I actually use tender cure from sportsmans and its a salt / sodium nitrate mix