Elk Populations down 50% in Aspen, Vail

People and bears. There was a previously published article on this herd and the numbers of nonhunting recreationalists was staggering in that area.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
People and bears. There was a previously published article on this herd and the numbers of nonhunting recreationalists was staggering in that area.

I can remember hiking into the Maroon Bells and being the only person back there. These days there are literally 100+ people every single day through the summer. It's crazy.

Wapiti1

WKR
I thought it was skier elk collisions. In a way, I guess it is.

Don't blame the bears, they're just trying to make a living.

Jeremy

Last edited:

brsnow

WKR
I am sure the push/lobby for e-bikes will really help this issue

Marble

WKR
I've read a few studies and calving rates dropping significantly after just minor interactions with people.

I could see permits being issued for hikers in the future, just like parking at a boat ramp.

Jbehredt

WKR
I've read a few studies and calving rates dropping significantly after just minor interactions with people.

I could see permits being issued for hikers in the future, just like parking at a boat ramp.

I saw one that said even one bump by a hiker with a dog meant over 60% calf mortality. Coloradans are ruining Colorado.

brsnow

WKR
Perhaps they should breed them with the Rocky Mountain national Park herd, they seem resilient to hikers.

LandYacht

WKR
Perhaps they should breed them with the Rocky Mountain national Park herd, they seem resilient to hikers.

I suppose if you don’t want to hunt elk that’s a good idea. You forgot that one huge variable. The humans in RMNP don’t get to hunt them. The other two herds still don’t know which humans are going to eat them or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marble

WKR
I doubt it's "Coloradans". Californicators and treehuggers from all over moving in and green activists pumping money in to crooked politicians are the culprits.....

It's the nature of that beautiful state. Just like the internet has helped people go hunting in ways they never dreamed, the same thing has happened to hikers. Trail aps, GPS, gear improvements. I dont see it as political at all.

I'm interested in seeing if someone has suggestions to change the calf mortality (if thata the problem).

Possible suggestions would be no cow hunting which doesnt seem likely. Maybe just in that area.

Reduce tags in general.

Make unit a 4 point or lower bull zone. Studies show mature bulls are more capable and efficient at impregnating cows in their first estrus cycle. If it is spread to second cycle then mortality goes up with more predation and weaker calfs the following winter.

Ban or restrict access to an area wear calving is happening.

It's the nature of that beautiful state. Just like the internet has helped people go hunting in ways they never dreamed, the same thing has happened to hikers. Trail aps, GPS, gear improvements. I dont see it as political at all.

I'm interested in seeing if someone has suggestions to change the calf mortality (if thata the problem).

Possible suggestions would be no cow hunting which doesnt seem likely. Maybe just in that area.

Reduce tags in general.

Make unit a 4 point or lower bull zone. Studies show mature bulls are more capable and efficient at impregnating cows in their first estrus cycle. If it is spread to second cycle then mortality goes up with more predation and weaker calfs the following winter.

Ban or restrict access to an area wear calving is happening.

I believe most hunters would abide staying out of calving grounds, but do ya think the bunnyhuggers, hikers, bicyclists, atv'ers, dog walkers, recreationalists and Wolfie's etc etc will? Looking strictly from a management perspective, and I'm not a biologist, but hunters have already been restricted access, and are charged for that restricted access. The rest of the population goes for free. And I hope nobody gives me that "I pay federal taxes so I am entitled crap". Hunters pay that tax fee as well. It's certainly not an even playing field. Feels a little bit lopsided to me.........

Last edited:

Marble

WKR
I believe most hunters would abide staying out of calving grounds, but do ya think the bunnyhuggers, hikers, bicyclists, atv'ers, dog walkers, recreationalists and Wolfie's etc etc will? Looking strictly from a management perspective, and I'm not a biologist, but hunters have already been restricted access, and are charged for that restricted access. The rest of the population goes for free. And I hope nobody gives me that "I pay federal taxes so I am entitled crap". Hunters pay that tax fee as well. It's certainly not an even playing field. Feels a little bit lopsided to me.........
That's kind of what I was getting at. I pay taxes just like everyone else, but if I go launch my boat the lake I pay fees. If I park at the lake I pay fees.

I guess you have to consider if money, or a lack thereof, is an issue with managing the herd. Or is restricted access the solution, or both.

Seems like hunters already pay for the additonal access with license and tag fees. But I could also see a group advocating for something like that and then requiring us to pay an additional fee. Idk.

Seems like a pandoras box. License for sheds, license to hunt, license to hike or fish, license for ....

Definitely something to discuss.

That's kind of what I was getting at. I pay taxes just like everyone else, but if I go launch my boat the lake I pay fees. If I park at the lake I pay fees.

I guess you have to consider if money, or a lack thereof, is an issue with managing the herd. Or is restricted access the solution, or both.

Seems like hunters already pay for the additonal access with license and tag fees. But I could also see a group advocating for something like that and then requiring us to pay an additional fee. Idk.

Seems like a pandoras box. License for sheds, license to hunt, license to hike or fish, license for ....

Definitely something to discuss.

Heck, with the population boom in CO, if they would charge the public to buy habitat and blm stamps to enter public lands, it would probably top their marijuana sales ;)

lilharcher

Lil-Rokslider
I doubt it's "Coloradans". Californicators and treehuggers from all over moving in and green activists pumping money in to crooked politicians are the culprits.....

Don’t hate the player, hate the game.......unfortunately, your idiot, elected mind you, politicians created this issue.....being the first to open your arms to MJ led to a flock of non-Colorado folks, with very different thoughts/beliefs, likely leading to your Anx.

Beendare

WKR
Studies showing other users besides hunters having a disruptive affect on elk.

One can only imagine how much more impact a herd of wolves will have vs a mtn biker.