Elk recipes

I’ve been thinking about trying sous vide. Read nothing but good reviews on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a legit method! The only downside is you won't get the smoke flavor that you would from a smoker or charcoal grill, but it's the most fool-proof way I've found to regulate temperature and get the meat dialed to your perfect level of done-ness.

The steak in my picture was slightly more done than I would prefer, but it was just a trial run to get it figured out. Look more at the consistency of the pink color from the very center to the edge. That's where the sous vide excels.

Whisky

WKR
I’ve been thinking about trying sous vide. Read nothing but good reviews on it.

Well then I better chime in....I've only done a handful of cooks on my SV, but I'm not sold on it yet. In all cases it has been more work then a traditional cooking method, with about equal/less then stellar results. I don't understand the craze for SV yet.

bsnedeker

WKR
Well then I better chime in....I've only done a handful of cooks on my SV, but I'm not sold on it yet. In all cases it has been more work then a traditional cooking method, with about equal results. I don't understand the craze for SV yet.
I would agree with you that it is more work when I am doing the cooking for the same/similar results...however, what the SV has done is enabled my wife to cook more wild game. She has always been nervous cooking the game I collect for a couple of reasons: 1. she doesn't have much experience with it, and 2. She is worried about disappointing me by doing it wrong because I work so hard to get it (believe me, I have tried to disabuse her of this idea to no avail!).

So the SV basically takes all the guesswork out of it and she gets perfect results every time so she cooks more game meat and I get to eat it!

Whisky

WKR
I would like my SV a heck of a lot more too if I came home to cooked meals by my wife!! :D
I can't even get her to toss some meat in the pellet cooker, and flip a switch on, without 128 questions, making it more of a headache then it's usually worth.

Take a few boneless steaks about 1/2 in thick toss them in flour! Salt pepper garlic salt and pan fry in bacon grease! Till blood reaches top then flip brown both sides and enjoy!

jspradley

WKR
I generally only use sous vide on thicker cuts, it works GREAT on those. Not so much for thin cuts as it makes them really easy to over cook

Boomer51

FNG
We love sous vide! I made a cheap cooler into the cooker. Grab a frozen elk roast out of the freezer and throw it in the cooler. Dial the temp on your phone and off to work. When I get home, I heat the grill and a cast iron pan as hot as possible. Sear all sides. Dinner's ready in 15 minutes.

Slice it thin and put on toasted steak roll with some horseradish on both sides. Dip in au jus and enjoy!

OP
traviswdalton

traviswdalton

Lil-Rokslider
Made this today. It’s got 2 more hours to cook and it smells amazing. I’ll post pics of finished product.

https://pin.it/oxezenqzbcy3j6

Also put a roast into brine for pastrami. Used the meateater recipe.

TheHardWay

Lil-Rokslider
One of my favorites, and its super simple, it to slice some backstop real thin (1/8-1/4") season with some S&P, and throw in a hot pan with green chilie infused olive oil. They cook quick, but give them one flip halfway through. I put the meat on a piece sandwich pita, with some melted swiss cheese, a piece of lettuce, and some spicy ranch dressing. Kind of a crude gyro, but man, it sure is delicious.

Trr15

WKR
Just smoked a big elk roast on my pellet grill after marinating it in Worcestershire sauce overnight. It turned out fantastic

OP
traviswdalton

traviswdalton

Lil-Rokslider
Made this today. It’s got 2 more hours to cook and it smells amazing. I’ll post pics of finished product.

https://pin.it/oxezenqzbcy3j6

Also put a roast into brine for pastrami. Used the meateater recipe.

095e6ea12f1b2d6ff60f35145c684b35.jpg

That’ll do

Go Pokes

Lil-Rokslider
Just finished my first pastrami (Antelope) ... Fantastic. In the brine for 3 days and the smoker for 4 hours. Hot Pastrami sandwich on Rye for dinner.

OP
traviswdalton

traviswdalton

Lil-Rokslider
Just finished my first pastrami (Antelope) ... Fantastic. In the brine for 3 days and the smoker for 4 hours. Hot Pastrami sandwich on Rye for dinner.

What did it weigh? I ask because I was planning on letting my elk roast (3lbs) brine for 5 days.

Go Pokes

Lil-Rokslider
I did 4 pounds of roast and then a couple few medallions (loins) to use in a meat and cheese platter. I focused on keeping the internal temp under 150 and it turned out great. The smoke penetration was fantastic.

Go Pokes

Lil-Rokslider
I didn't see a need to go beyond 3 days plus i'm not very patient. Soaked it in cold water for 1 hour after the brine, rolled it in spices and then into the smoker. Total rookie at this so i'm sure much could be improved but it tasted really good and my wife liked it so thats a plus. She said if I could make a muley taste like this she might enjoy it.

OP
traviswdalton

traviswdalton

Lil-Rokslider
aaee323e1660e4e0dfd5c9832ad93fe4.jpg

By itself to much pepper for me. On a rueben it’s not bad

N2TRKYS

WKR
My favorite is a backstrap recipe. I soak it in salt water for at least 2 days, draining and replacing salt water each day. Cut backstraps the length of my knife blade. I run the knife through the center of the backstrap making a hole just large enough to get a piece of Conecuh hardwood flavored sausage(cut to the length of the backstrap) in it. Then cut it to 1.5-2" thickness. Wrap with Wrights brand bacon and season to taste. Cook it to the temp that you prefer(I prefer medium). Served with a baked sweet potato and grill asparagus is some count.

Remps17

Lil-Rokslider
For steaks on the grill try pampered chef seasoned salt or Rufus Teague steak rub

Tip for making pastrami is to use a flatter roast, not a overly thick roast. I did a think roast last time and the brine never got to the middle and didn't taste as good. my opinion anyways