Elk Refuge Hunt

I secured an access permit for the Jackson elk refuge late season cow hunt this coming weekend (final hunt segment). It's been cold and there's decent snow, particularly up high.
I tried to do some scouting yesterday but you're not allowed access into the full hunt area until the day of your permit so I'm not sure what to fully expect. I saw a few elk and some elk hunters from the areas I was allowed into but it didn't seem to be the chaotic firing line I was fearing. Looking at previous years' harvest #'s and scouting yesterday it definitely is not a slamdunk hunt that I'm sure most would think (myself originally included).

Anyone ever do this hunt before? Would appreciate any input so I can balance my expectations... I'm mostly concerned with the "firing line" chaos and what I've heard about the outfitter who has a number of his guides on horseback that push elk around, making for a tough DIY hunt. My mom lives out in WY and it'd be great to get a cow for her freezer and notch my WY elk tag after getting to full draw 3 times during archery season!

Lots of rams down low

IMG_4889.JPEG

Last edited:
OP
nettereo16
what outfitter pushes elk around?

thanks
tim
There is only 1 outfitter licensed on the refuge. I've heard (but I'm not claiming anything since I've never personally hunted there) that the guides go on horseback and can bump the elk around, not necessarily intentionally, just the nature of covering more ground on horseback.

wyosam

WKR
Lots of elk around. Larger herds get bumped around regularly. My biggest advice would be stay out all day. Everyone hits it hard in the morning, then either drives around or goes to town for the middle of the day. Smaller groups that get broken off in the morning seem to go looking for the herd in the afternoon. I could have shot cows a half dozen times while I was packing out yesterday. I like to get way out north to avoid some of the shit show.

I wouldn’t spend any more time than absolutely necessary within view of a road. If elk show up between you and a group of people, assume they either can’t see you, or don’t care that you are there, because there is about to be a volley of bullets headed your way. Low spot is great, but get on the ground. Seriously. It’s a beautiful place to spend a day hiking around that one can only hike while hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
nettereo16
Lots of elk around. Larger herds get bumped around regularly. My biggest advice would be stay out all day. Everyone hits it hard in the morning, then either drives around or goes to town for the middle of the day. Smaller groups that get broken off in the morning seem to go looking for the herd in the afternoon. I could have shot cows a half dozen times while I was packing out yesterday. I like to get way out north to avoid some of the shit show.

I wouldn’t spend any more time than absolutely necessary within view of a road. If elk show up between you and a group of people, assume they either can’t see you, or don’t care that you are there, because there is about to be a volley of bullets headed your way.
Very helpful, I've got all day to spend and a super warm orange camo onesie that I inherited from my dad!