Elk ribs

Remps17

Lil-Rokslider
This probably belongs in the cooking section but, I figure I will get a few quick responses here. I was able to take out the whole cavity of my elk I shot on Saturday. I have everything hanging in my cooler. I have never done ribs before but would love to give them a try. I am assuming I should have cut the ribs off ASAP but long day turned into a long two days. How long is to long to keep the ribs hanging before they dry up? and if I cut them off tonight and freeze them, will I have to do much in the way of trimming the dried meat on the inside of the ribs, or will they be fine when cooked?

Thanks for the help.

Trial153

WKR
Cut them, split them and trim them a bit and the put em in the freezer. You should be fine.

rayporter

WKR
we make deer ribs once a year. they must be eaten hot. if they cool the fat leaves that coating in your mouth that is nasty.
I think she boils them the wraps in foil to finish. got to try wrapping them with bacon, just to see if it helps.

moose is good -never had elk.

Wapiti1

WKR
I've had ribs that were hanging for a while, and ones that were basically fresh. The dried meat on the outside will re-hydrate fine depending on how you cook them. Trim the fat, as others have suggested. If you just grill them, the meat that dried will just turn into a rock hard shell. Use a wet cooking method and it will be fine. Some folks boil them first, then finish in oven or smoker. My preference is to pressure cook for 45 minutes, then finish in smoker or on the grill for a little char.

Boiling/pressure cooking helps remove the tallow fat that venison has. Since this is a lean game meat, and you are trying to tenderize it during cooking, wet cooking methods are the way to go. Then finish to get a charred crust if you like that off the grill taste. Braising works very well too. Thin some BBQ sauce and use that as a braising liquid, or use an osso buco recipe with them.

Jeremy

bearclaw

FNG
They should be fine. I like to pre-freeze so the sawzall greases through it all but YMMV. Slow cooker or pressure cooker, then finish on the grill or in a skillet to sear and carmelize. Love deer and elk ribs...

Wrench

WKR
I've tried it a dozen or so times. My advice is to trim it and grind it. If you MUST eat them, season then smoke for a hour or so and then pressure cook to finish.

Venison ribs are nasty. My Elk butcher never returned the ribs... I have to ask next time..
I j
Venison ribs are nasty. My Elk butcher never returned the ribs... I have to ask next time..
i just tried deer ribs for the first time and they where amazing ! I ate the hot out of the oven so maybe if you let them sit and get cold they might be waxey tasting ?

brimow

Lil-Rokslider
Cook suggestion. Lay out on a broiler pan and drench in balsamic vinegar, season, fill bottom of broiler pan with water and a little more balsamic. Cover/seal pan with foil. Bake at 250 for about 3 hours. Finish ribs on a medium grill while basting in your choice of sauce! This method works great for just about any critter's ribs.

As long as they don’t stink they should be good to eat. Last time I made them I put them in the crockpot before grilling them a while to dry them out and they were great