Elk ribs

Does anyone have experience removing ribs whole when using the gutless method. I’m interesred in cooking the ribs on the bone if I’m able to harvest an elk this year.

OP
Nickjames2000
I guess that’s what I’m wondering- can you do the gutless method and then cut the ribs out? Most things I’ve seen are people just taking the meat from the ribs. I’m new to all this

wytx

WKR
After quartering open up the lower gut and let the insides fall out. You can get the ribs off of the top side of the animal. A small hatchet works well on the ribs near the backbone, knife will let you separate them along the breastbone.
Take off the fat, it will be greasy on the ribs after cooking. Elk are ribs are actually very good if you trim some fat.

stonewall

WKR
Not true. An opening near the pelvis will allow the guts to fall out and make getting ribs off much easier. Same for removing tenderloins.
I agree on not taking them unless the "pack out" is an easy one.
sorry, that's essentially what i mean. you stated it better. what you do is how i remove the tenderloins as well

OP
Nickjames2000
After quartering open up the lower gut and let the insides fall out. You can get the ribs off of the top side of the animal. A small hatchet works well on the ribs near the backbone, knife will let you separate them along the breastbone.
Take off the fat, it will be greasy on the ribs after cooking. Elk are ribs are actually very good if you trim some fat.
Thanks, are using the hatchet to tap through by the backbone? Is than easier than a small bonesaw?

cnelk

WKR
Ive done elk ribs, WT ribs, MD ribs and antelope ribs.

I would rank them the same as listed above. I wouldnt bother with doing antelope ribs again.... yucky

If you end up getting some ribs, do the '3-2-1 Method'
Amazing

Wapiti1

WKR
Thanks, are using the hatchet to tap through by the backbone? Is than easier than a small bonesaw?
Use the hatchet to cut the rib off right at the spine. One whack per rib. But, hatchets are heavy, so I use a small saw. Alternate method is a large knife and a beat it through with a rock or limb.

Jeremy

Jn78

Lil-Rokslider
I pulled ribs off of some whitetails this year. We were at the truck, so weight didn't matter. I did the gutless method and then used branch loppers to access the tenderloins and then cut away all the ribs and it was super easy. I removed as much fat as possible, slow cooked them until they were fork tender, then put them on a super hot grill to char them a bit. i was actually surprised at how much food it rendered and how good they were.

OP
Nickjames2000
I pulled ribs off of some whitetails this year. We were at the truck, so weight didn't matter. I did the gutless method and then used branch loppers to access the tenderloins and then cut away all the ribs and it was super easy. I removed as much fat as possible, slow cooked them until they were fork tender, then put them on a super hot grill to char them a bit. i was actually surprised at how much food it rendered and how good they were.
Sounds great! I’ll be hiking but might be worth the extra trip