Elk rifle preference

Hey all, I’m new here and new to elk hunting. I am doing a drop camp hunt in Colorado with my family this season. I am just curious what some of your favorite rifles are for hunting. I have some ideas that I like but I want to have a good round for more than just elk. I am leaning on the tikka t3x, in maybe 30-06. If y’all have time drop some rifle/calibers you guys enjoy mountain hunting! Appreciate the forums and all y’all’s information and knowledge.

I have a T3X in 30-06. So far it’s been a great elk hunting rifle. Killed a handful of elk and a handful of whitetails with it. 165 grain accubonds have worked great for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everyone on here loves a Tikka, so I think that would be a good route to go!
I purchased a Winchester XPR in 300 WSM for my first elk hunt and was successful. Looking back, I wish that I'd have gone with a Tikka.

Right before my trip that year, I won a Brown X-bolt in .308 at a DU event. Love that Rifle and would have probably taken it, but didn't have the funds/time to put a new scope on it and figure out a round to use.

Currently in the predicament of deciding on which gun to take. Cartridge availability is a big thing to consider. For me now, I have had more success finding .308 rounds than 300 WSM rounds.

For the average guy who hunts elks between 0 and 400 yards, most standard cartridges between 6.5 and 33 caliber are fine. Bullet construction is more important than bore size, IMO. Elk are big, so lots of magnification isn’t real important at these ranges. I have an M70 30-06 with a 3.5-10x, an M700 270 with a 4-12x, and an M700 30-06 with a 3-9x. Heck, I have a 7x57 with a fixed 6x too. All would be fine at those ranges.

If you’re going to shoot farther, then a more specialized rifle may be in order. I have a 300 Win Mag/200gr NAB with a 3-15x scope if I’m hunting really open country.

Last edited:
OP
bigbuckkilla
Yeah 308 is definitely heavily available. The problem with the tikka 30/06 is finding one available haha. Bow hunter I love those accubonds run them with my 270. I just want a bigger bullet. The actions on the tikka are insanely smooth. Y’all are awesome appreciate the time!

Yeah 308 is definitely heavily available. The problem with the tikka 30/06 is finding one available haha. Bow hunter I love those accubonds run them with my 270. I just want a bigger bullet. The actions on the tikka are insanely smooth. Y’all are awesome appreciate the time!

Have you seen the country? What’s it like? I hunt coastal Roosevelt elk and I am generally walking timber where shots can be quick and fairly close. A light rifle that can stay in the hands is more useful than anything. But, if I was going to shoot across open prairie or canyons, I would go fir stability for the longer shot.

OP
bigbuckkilla
Have you seen the country? What’s it like? I hunt coastal Roosevelt elk and I am generally walking timber where shots can be quick and fairly close. A light rifle that can stay in the hands is more useful than anything. But, if I was going to shoot across open prairie or canyons, I would go fir stability for the longer shot.
It’s going to be at 9k elevation, Timbers and wilderness. The man that owns the drop camps said be prepared for shots 350 and in. A lot of timber hunting. So that’s why I’d like a lighter rifle like you said. Thinking the tikka 30/06 t3x, with a 3-9x44 or 4-12x50 either hawke or vortex’s.

It’s going to be at 9k elevation, Timbers and wilderness. The man that owns the drop camps said be prepared for shots 350 and in. A lot of timber hunting. So that’s why I’d like a lighter rifle like you said. Thinking the tikka 30/06 t3x, with a 3-9x44 or 4-12x50 either hawke or vortex’s.

If that’s the case, I wouldn’t run much more than 10x on the high end. Elk are pretty big and their hide makes crosshairs stand out real well! A 30-06, even with 200gr bullets, is still a hold-on-hair proposition on elk at 350 yards (assuming 200 yard zero).

Lots of questions to answer that. It sounds like you’re looking for something for the average hunter who is able to handle a gun that’s going to be adequate for most North American big game even when he decides he might like to make some further shots. Does that sound right? A .30-.06 has a fair amount of recoil. If that’s not an issue I’ll agree with a couple people above and say get a .300 Win Mag. Another reason I say that is because of the availability of ammunition which is a concern these days. Whatever you do don’t go cheap on the scope. The Tikka sounds like a fine choice.

Wilderness will not be all timber. It never is. If it was he wouldn’t tell you to be prepared for a 350 yard shot. He wants you to be prepared to shoot as far as he thinks most clients can shoot. If you told him you can shoot to 500 or 600 I’d bet he says great that’s even better.

My first elk was at 150 yards with a 165 grain Nosler Partition from a 7mm Rem Mag. Dead in it’s tracks. Since then a few were at 35 to 75 yards. But more than a few were further. Some waaaay further. None escaped except the ones that were just too dang far. I don’t like letting elk get away. I try to do every single itty bitty thing I can do do minimize the chances of that happening.

Elkhntr08

WKR
My go to is a Remington 673 in 300 saum wearing a 3.5-10 leopold. Shoots 165 TSX less than 3/4”.
Wife bought me that rifle, so it’s never going anywhere.

I’ve used several rifles for elk and settled on a 300 win mag as my preferred elk cartridge. 180 gr Barnes ttsx at 3100 fps do the job. I really like tikka rifles and I don’t think you can go wrong with one in 308, 30-06, or300 mag for your elk hunt. Good luck!