Elk rifle preference

Rifle elk hunting is all about shot placement with a decent caliber. From my experience I won’t take shots past 300 yards with my 308 & 30-06. I’ve shot multiple bulls with one shot kills.

Rifle elk hunting is all about shot placement with a decent caliber. From my experience I won’t take shots past 300 yards with my 308 & 30-06. I’ve shot multiple bulls with one shot kills.

That's wise. I wouldn't try killing one that's out past 300 yds with my '06 either. Smart move.

The big 30's are the king of elk slaying with the right bullet/shooter combo. A good 7mm RM or 28 nosler with heavy for caliber bullet will get her done to. It's really all aviit practicing further than you want to shoot and then the shorter shots are easier in my opinion. A good set of sticks to shoot off is priceless.

MrBHSir

FNG
Hey all, I’m new here and new to elk hunting. I am doing a drop camp hunt in Colorado with my family this season. I am just curious what some of your favorite rifles are for hunting. I have some ideas that I like but I want to have a good round for more than just elk. I am leaning on the tikka t3x, in maybe 30-06. If y’all have time drop some rifle/calibers you guys enjoy mountain hunting! Appreciate the forums and all y’all’s information and knowledge.
I have and love my tikka t3x .308... Used on elk, deer and antelope hunts. Good accurate light rifle

I think a 308 is a fine caliber. Personally, I have taken moose, bear, caribou and sheep. I did worry when I first got it that it light be too light, but I have found that monolithic copper bullets, or really any quality bullet is key. Haven't taken any large bears and keep my shots to within 300 yards, but I feel confident with good shot placement and quality bullets you can hunt almost anything with a 308, 30-06, or 7mm.