Elk rifle preference

Well guys I pulled the trigger on a rifle. I hope I do not disappoint you guys but I plan on spending several hours at the range. Weatherby Vanguard 300 Win Mag. It’s an awesome looking gun with a very smooth action. Any suggestions on scopes? My rifles have a 3x9-44 hawke and vortex.
That should serve you well

An swfa 3-15 would be a good place to be for a scope. I just put an APA gen 3 LB on a rifle and have no complaints with it, easy to install and works well… plan on replacing it with a can soon.

The 300wm is a great and versatile cartridge

ROON99

FNG
Hey all, I’m new here and new to elk hunting. I am doing a drop camp hunt in Colorado with my family this season. I am just curious what some of your favorite rifles are for hunting. I have some ideas that I like but I want to have a good round for more than just elk. I am leaning on the tikka t3x, in maybe 30-06. If y’all have time drop some rifle/calibers you guys enjoy mountain hunting! Appreciate the forums and all y’all’s information and knowledge.
I would go with something you know you can get ammo for these days! I shoot a .300 Win mag and a .28 Nosler. I also reload. Fortunately I have enough components to keep going. A .30-06 is a great all around caliber for sure.

Last edited:
I killed my first 20 elk with a 7RM Husky; the rest with a BAR 7 RM.

My son shoots a Husky 06 when he isn't shooting a BAR 06. The both do the job year after year. Both work fine.

Dgk30

FNG
An 06 will work, I have killed cows out to 475yds with mine. But my preference is the lightest rifle I can carry. Right now it's 6.5 lb 18" .308 it works just as well. With an AG stock my rm 700 300wm is down to 8lbs it works well too, little heavy and I am not of fan of the long barrel in timber...2 to 3 lbs doesn't sound like a lot until you have carried it from before daylight to after dark...lol
What rounds do you like in your 06 for elk at that kind of range? I’m planning on using my 06 when I go but I’ve only shot whitetails with it so far with 165gr thinking about moving to 180gr

What rounds do you like in your 06 for elk at that kind of range? I’m planning on using my 06 when I go but I’ve only shot whitetails with it so far with 165gr thinking about moving to 180gr
Whatever grain bullet shoots best out of your rifle...my 06 doesn't like 180 gr bullets..so I use 165gr NP. For me bullet design and accuracy are more important than weight.

Can you get a cheek well on that thing? Ocular looks pretty high.
Doesn't look like a lot of cheek weld going on. That's a nice scope however a 50mm objective sometimes necessitates form over function. I've never gone with the large objective. With good glass the difference it makes with respect to ocular performance doesn't warrant this very thing for me and my guns anyway.

It's a really nice looking set up, looking forward to hearing how it goes at the range. I have a hard time visualizing good contact for a shot in the field, but I'm sure he will shoot from various positions and see how it works for him.

OP
bigbuckkilla
Doesn't look like a lot of cheek weld going on. That's a nice scope however a 50mm objective sometimes necessitates form over function. I've never gone with the large objective. With good glass the difference it makes with respect to ocular performance doesn't warrant this very thing for me and my guns anyway.

It's a really nice looking set up, looking forward to hearing how it goes at the range. I have a hard time visualizing good contact for a shot in the field, but I'm sure he will shoot from various positions and see how it works for him.
Plan on trying to recreate as many difficult shots as possible. Honestly the height isn’t that significant when shouldered. I may replace the rings with the medium rings though. I just went off the leupold guide and that’s what was said to buy for the rifle.

You mentioned earlier the rifle had Talley medium mounts in a previous pic. Looks like you've switched to a rail and now have chosen Leupold rings? Only because you say you may go to Leopold medium if these are too high. Does that mean you have high Leupold rings currently? Just trying to clarify.

Standing with the gun shouldered in the off hand position is one of the least used shots however it's good to hear you get good cheek weld from that position.

OP
bigbuckkilla
You mentioned earlier the rifle had Talley medium mounts in a previous pic. Looks like you've switched to a rail and now have chosen Leupold rings? Only because you say you may go to Leopold medium if these are too high. Does that mean you have high Leupold rings currently? Just trying to clarify.

Standing with the gun shouldered in the off hand position is one of the least used shots however it's good to hear you get good cheek weld from that position.
Yeah I had the Talley one piece mounts. The problem was my scope wasn’t long enough to match those rings. I had to use a rail and ordered high rings according the leupold catalog. I wish I didn’t have to, because I don’t care for the look on the rail system for rifles. And my current rings are high at the moment.

Yeah I had the Talley one piece mounts. The problem was my scope wasn’t long enough to match those rings. I had to use a rail and ordered high rings according the leupold catalog. I wish I didn’t have to, because I don’t care for the look on the rail system for rifles. And my current rings are high at the moment.
The most recent picture isn't the best angle but looks like you have plenty of room to go to medium rings.

axeforce6

WKR
I'm not sure what your budget is. I have not went through all 8 pages so forgive me if it's been stated. But if your shooting under 400 yards but have the chance to take a further shot I'd look at a 300wsm shooting 180gr-200gr bullets. I prefer bonded bullets myself. Christensen arms has their new ridgeline FFT offered in a 300wsm with a 20" barrel that would do well in the woods, on a long pack and still be deadly at distance. find you a scope in 3-15 range and go fill the freezer.