Elk Rifle Suggestions

BCD

WKR
I have never elk hunted before but plan on doing so in the next year or two. I'm looking for a 7Mag, 300 Win or 300 WSM. I've looked at the Tikkas, Xbolts, and Bergara B14's. I've ruled out the Tikka and am leaning towards the Xbolt. I'm not crazy about the 26 inch barrel on the 300Win so may opt for the 300WSM with the 23 inch barrel. I would like to keep the cost of the gun alone around $1,000 or less. Are there any other models I should consider and any thoughts on the Xbolt vs the Bergara? I like the idea of the factory muzzle brake on the Xbolt.

Thank You!

davsco

WKR
just got the tikka t3x in 300wsm for this year's elk hunt, because they have a decent selection of lefty's out there. i had a t3 in 300win mag that kicked like a friggin mule (well, maybe two mules), so i was a little skeptical about another 300mag in a lighter rifle without a brake. i fired exactly one round yesterday out back just to start break in and was very pleasantly surprised over recoil. supposedly the new stock helps and i also put on a limbsaver pad.

i have a lefty browning a-bolt in 30-06 that i like (no frills but works and shoots good) but didn't consider something like this, this time as it's a little heavier.

howl

WKR
What kinda elk hunts are you going on? What rifles do you have already?

I wouldn’t let the 26 barrel on the xbolt, nor the absence of a brake on the Tikka deter me from buying the one I wanted.

You can have the tikka threaded.

You can have the xbolt shortened(but why would you on a 300).

elkguide

WKR
You are on the right course with a .300 Win Mag for elk.

If I were to be buying a new elk/deer rifle it would be in .300 Win Mag
but I would have a tough choice deciding between a Cooper, A Christensen Arms and a Seekins.

OP
B

BCD

WKR
I'm really not sue what kind of elk hunting I will be doing just yet as I'm searching for outfitters. The only rifle I currently own that I would consider for elk is an older Remington 700 BDL in 30-06 but I'm thinking I will want something bigger for elk. Thanks for your responses and please keep them comiing!

Your 'thinking' is screwed up..... '06s been killing the crap outta elk for longer than you've been alive. no need for magnums, unless you've been drinking the eastern US koolaid.

pchrisla

Lil-Rokslider
I agree, put a new trigger and maybe stock on the 700 30-06 and be done. Can always re-barrel and still be under budget and have a nice rifle. If you really want a 300, I would go tikka superlight or kimber for 1k budget personally.

270quest

WKR
Every elk I have killed (4 bulls, 4 cows) has died from either a 6.5 or 270 shooting 130-140 grain bullets. Longest shot being just shy of 400 yards. Furthest any of them have gone is 75-100 yards.

Modern Bullets and Powders do a lot for old/less powerful cartridges.

It’s the same thinking that gets backpack hunters too, the “what if”.

Like many have said, for most people the smaller 30s are more than enough. If you’re thinking of the what if scenario of you potentially shooting an animal at some ridiculous distance, I’d first ask myself if I honestly had the time(and money) to put into really practicing at said distance before I went all out and bought a gun for the what if scenario.

I think almost all legal centerfire cartridges these days deliver killing energy out to as far as anyone wants to shoot. I think the greater consideration is shot angle. The benefit to the larger calibers is non-ideal shot angles where you have to really bore through a lot of animal and bone, regardless of range. I hunt with a 30-06 for many reasons, but I feel it’s plenty adequate for any range I want to shoot an animal, and at any angle. .243 can kill out to a long ways, but it has to be an ideal angle.

OP
B

BCD

WKR
Ok so if I stick with my 30-06 why would I need a new stock and why would one consider re-barreling? Also, what would you coinsder the max effective distance and what bullet and scope would be recommeneded?

Thank You!

cjl2010

Lil-Rokslider
If you get a 215 Berger going 2700fps at 4000’ elevation your looking at about 900yds before you hit 1800fps/1500fpe

davsco

WKR
Ok so if I stick with my 30-06 why would I need a new stock and why would one consider re-barreling? Also, what would you coinsder the max effective distance and what bullet and scope would be recommeneded?

what kinda groups are you getting now with your '06? how heavy is the rifle (and scope if that is on there)?

i think talk about rebarreling and new stock is towards lightening your load and perhaps getting it more accurate. and a wood stock, if that is what you have, ain't the best for out in the real weather.

452b264

Lil-Rokslider
I have used the 300 magnums for a couple of decades (NOT ANY MORE THEY ARE NOT NEEDED), and I dont see any difference in their ability to cleanly kill game, unless you want to shoot them at 800 plus yards (NOT AS EASY AS IT LOOKS). I used my 3006 to take my last bull shot it in the heart and it rolled with in 30 yards. If your 3006 has a wood stock you may consider a good composite stock and have it bedded, does it still have the factory trigger? (Trigger tech or Timney) you may also consider the scope mounts and scope. other wise I would hunt with the 06 until you have some experience elk hunting.

howl

WKR
I remember back when the 30/06 was considered a big gun. Times...

I can't think of anything I wouldn't shoot with 30/06 and 165gr Partition. I suggest a top shelf scope and mount for the /06. Shoot the snot out of it to get ready for the trip.

One shot from a braked rifle without hearing protection causes permanent hearing damage. I'm talking likely ears ringing for the rest of your life. Most people would not let a bull elk slip away on an out of state hunt because they couldn't get ear plugs in fast enough.

452b264

Lil-Rokslider
Bullets for your 3006 (my personal choices) 150 gr. TTSX; 165 / 180 / 200 gr. Nosler Accubond or Partitions which ever shoots best in your rifle.

cjl2010

Lil-Rokslider
Does one shot from a rifle without a brake not cause any damage?