Elk Rifle

jeg0005

FNG
Hello all,
I'm a new member to the forum. I drew my first elk tag for first rifle in Colorado this year. I'll be carrying a Browning X-bolt Western Hunter LR in 300 PRC (A little overkill maybe, but I wanted something that would double as a long range target rifle). I have a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 (that I already had) on it now but I'm worried that 6x may be too high for bottom end magnification. I also have a Razor HD gen 2 4.5-27 x56 which I think it way too much scope and unnecessarily heavy. I've been eyeing the Razor HD LHT 3-15x50 and the Razor HD LHT 4.5-22x50. Any suggestions on these two scopes for elk hunting are greatly appreciated. I have listed only Vortex options because I get the 40% off MSRP through Expert Voice, but I'm certainly open to other suggestions. I'd like to keep it under $1500. Thanks in advance!

Elkhntr08

WKR
Have no kick with your choice of rifle or round, I chose a Weathermark in 300 Weatherby.
I personally think you’re over scoping the rifle. The ones you’ve listed seem to be big, heavy optics.
Not sure what unit you’ll be hunting, but some can get pretty steep. Once you’ve lugged a 11# rifle around the mountains for a week, you won’t want to do it again.
Remember, you carry it more than you shoot it.

Last edited:
OP
J

jeg0005

FNG
Hove no kick with your choice of rifle or round, I chose a Weathermark in 300 Weatherby.
I personally think you’re over scoping the rifle. The ones you’ve listed seem to be big, heavy optics.
Not sure what unit you’ll be hunting, but some can get pretty steep. Once you’ve lugged a 11# rifle around the mountains for a week, you won’t want to do it again.
Remember, you carry it more than you shoot it.
That's what I'm worried about. Initially I was trying to save some money by not buying new glass, but I think both options that I already own are too much scope. I'm hunting 3,4,5, 301, and 441. Do you have any suggestions on other optics?

Elkhntr08

WKR
That's what I'm worried about. Initially I was trying to save some money by not buying new glass, but I think both options that I already own are too much scope. I'm hunting 3,4,5, 301, and 441. Do you have any suggestions on other optics?
Not really. You seem to be a Vortex fan, I lean to Leupold.
I have 3 rifles that have all made it to the elk mountains. All wear Leupolds. A 3.5-10x40, 4.5-14x40 and the Weatherby has a 3.5-15x44.
To me, the 4.5-14x40 it the most versatile. I just got a heck of a deal on the VX5HD.

Mosby

WKR
IMO I don't think you need a x50 scope for elk hunting. I use x40 for most of my rifles. Weight is always an issue when you're climbing and would look hard at reducing weight on all your equipment including your rifle. Leupold is also a good suggestion. It is pretty much all I've used for the last 35 years and never have had a scope fail.

Reactions: EdP

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
As noted if your climbing on your hunt a heavy gun will feel a little heavier every day and 99% of the time your carrying it…I would look for a lighter scope and if not dialing leupold has some good offerings…in 42 yrs of elk hunting zero failures on my leupolds. Good luck on your hunt🤙

Bolo4u

FNG
Burris is another option to consider. I have a veracity 4-20x50 on my X-Bolt (6.8 Western) and really like it.

The glass is clear, FFP, great warranty (owned by Beretta) and not any heavier than a comparable scope from another brand.

Their signature line of scope is also very nice. You can also get them on Expert Voice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

11boo

WKR
I’m completely on the other end from OP. It is so rare I would need to shoot over 200 yards, I’m fine with low power glass. 2x fixed on the lever, 1x6 on the bolt.
I do have a 300 mag with a 3x9 zeiss but it never gets used.

I would suggest something 3x9 for him.

67D7B3BD-63C8-47AC-8E9A-3E886241BB9E.jpeg

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I rifle hunted elk and deer for 25 years with 3x9 scopes, and rarely ever used anything other than 3 power. I think the longest shot I ever had on an elk was a little over 200.

ThunderJack49

Lil-Rokslider
In my experience elk are either right in your lap or pretty far away. My first elk was at 350, the next one was 400, my partner this year killed one at 535 and then the next week in the same area my shot was at 70 yards. Everyone has preferences on brands and such, IMO much like Ford or Dodge and at the end of the day it probably won't be your scope that makes the difference for you. I am of the school that an 8# rifle is right on the money but it's all preference. A kifaru gun bearer makes carrying any rifle much more convenient. I've been running a 4-16 Vortex for years.

axeforce6

WKR
Cameraland has Burris XTR 3’s on sale for under $1,000. I have a couple and highly suggest them. If I’m buyjig a scope in that price range it wouldn’t be anything other than a Burris. If you can find a used Zeiss V6 in 3-18 for your budget thats what I would chase after personally.

yfarm

WKR
Shot a big Nilgai a few years ago at 308 yds with a 308 with Barnes 150 gr, forgot to crank the scope up, was on 3x went down with one shot, last year shot an elk at 320 with a 280AI with Barnes 150. Cranked the scope up to 12x, went down with one shot. Not sure the increase in mag made me shoot better.

Gila

WKR
MRAD for me too. Locking turrets are good if just for the windage. I will only put Japanese or German glass on top, but each to his own. No reason why you couldn’t spank a bull out at 600 yards with the right optic and tri-pod. Most of my elk shots have been in low light, so I have come to appreciate an illuminated reticle in a 50mm bell. I put a Crimson Trace Series 5 on my 300 win mag. Low wide turrets are easier to use with gloves. The 34mm tube is a bit heavier but it is rock solid and worth the extra few ounces in weight IMO. Brownell’s MPO scope is the same scope as the CRT series 5 but has a different recticle which is more of a Horus type. It comes with plastic lens caps that are high quality and work well. Strelok Pro has the reticles for both scopes The CTR series 5 is no longer made. One grande for the MPO scope.

I use a FFP scope but I do like to be able to go down to 3X once in a while. When you go down to 3 power the reticle gets very small. The MPO does well there. Much better than the CTR. But be careful, because even at 5X the reticle can get funky on a 3x18. It is all about what is acceptable to you.

Most of my elk hunting these days is hiking to various ambush points. With just a day pack, a few extra ounces for a scope isn’t noticed. When I get to my ambush point, I take readings at various ranges, then bluetooth in the enviro data from the WeatherFlow. That way I don’t waste time when the elk show up. I don’t think there is such a thing as too much gun for a big bull elk. They are very large and tough critters! 210 - 230 gr bullets is what I would use.

Last edited:

CJohnson

WKR
I took a buddy on his first elk hunt and we spent a lot of time shooting out to 300 yds. We then proceeded to work into a nice bull opening morning and he killed him at 19 yds in thick timber. After that experience, I’ll always lean towards having some room on the low power end. I personally have a VX5 3.5-15x44. I don’t think a x50 is super necessary for an elk rifle because I don’t know how many shot opportunities are presented in low light conditions.