Elk Rifle

Hnthrdr

WKR
That's what I'm worried about. Initially I was trying to save some money by not buying new glass, but I think both options that I already own are too much scope. I'm hunting 3,4,5, 301, and 441. Do you have any suggestions on other optics?
2-4 power on the low end, 14-18 on the high end seems to be a sweet spot for hunting out west

Hnthrdr

WKR
I’m completely on the other end from OP. It is so rare I would need to shoot over 200 yards, I’m fine with low power glass. 2x fixed on the lever, 1x6 on the bolt.
I do have a 300 mag with a 3x9 zeiss but it never gets used.

I would suggest something 3x9 for him.

View attachment 429022
Do you take a “still” hunting gun and an open country gun? I do the same thing deer hunting

I had a Bergara in 300PRC with a gen 2 razor 4.5-27 on last years elk hunt. It performed very well but I wanted a larger field of view and a bit lighter weight so I picked up a Burris xtr3 3-18 and im thrilled with it. I’d give serious consideration to that considering the balance of weight and huge field of view. Seemed ideal to me.

Headhunter

Lil-Rokslider
I’m using a Leupold VX6HD 3-18x44, light and pretty good glass.

If you stick to your scope, just keep it at the lowest power setting and zoom in if needed

TheHammer

WKR
O.P. Out of the scopes you listed the 3-15x50 would serve you well. Everyone on here is 10000% correct based on their own experiences, setups and pocket book. If you are a vortex guy, cool! Thousands of guys are, Have been and will continue to be. I am one of them as well. 3 power is Low enough to do what you need it to do. And 15 is way more then you’ll ever need in an ethical distance. I bring two rifles when elk hunting. Depending on what kind of hunting I’m doing (terrain/location/time of year) and one is 7lbs 4oz equipped with a 2.5-10x44, so by the last day or two I’m sick of lugging my 11.2lb rig around I know I’ll opt for the lighter rig.

specneeds

Lil-Rokslider
You can make your existing scope work - I agree 3-15 is about perfect for a 300 chasing elk. You can hit them all day long 3-9 power but the extra top end magnification let’s you determine- legal __Bang. I like the Zeiss v4 4-16x50 I got at RedHawk rifles for about $800. Not FFP but seems close to perfect.