Elk scouting!

Z Barebow

Well Known Rokslider
With the thermals and every changing winds in the mountains, I think I would have a tough time looking for critters when my sphincter is clenched tight enough to make diamonds!

Rockhopper

They look like fun but can be very dangerous. We had a guy crash one into a tree on the ranch a number of years ago, he died from his injuries. There were a couple of guys with him and they said the wind got up and forced them down.

dbaker

Well Known Rokslider
696_37733647882_2196_n.jpg

there pretty finicky with the weather. you can only really fly them early morning and late evening unless you have a solid low ceiling cloud cover. I have one basically new with 26 hours i'd sell for 6k...

dbaker

Well Known Rokslider
They look like fun but can be very dangerous. We had a guy crash one into a tree on the ranch a number of years ago, he died from his injuries. There were a couple of guys with him and they said the wind got up and forced them down.

it's actually the safest form of flight as long as you pay attention to the weather and only fly early morning and late evening when the thermals are essentially non existent (at least in ohio)

Last edited:
OP
cmeier117

cmeier117

Well Known Rokslider
That is sweet. Not sure I would use it where I hunt. It is too steep and not enough places to land safely if you needed too. This is like a long term goal to fly one of those things.

dbaker

Well Known Rokslider
we've actually used one to find a poorly hit deer once.

That is sweet. Not sure I would use it where I hunt. It is too steep and not enough places to land safely if you needed too. This is like a long term goal to fly one of those things.

come on out to ohio. no license required.

trdhunter

Well Known Rokslider
Would work sweet for finding sheds. Not sure if it would be worth it to land to pick them up. Guess you fly one day and find them and hike the next and pick em up.

123 4/8 P&Y

Well Known Rokslider
Scouting? Why not use it to access and hunt landlocked public land? What is the maximum load they can lift?

muleman

Well Known Rokslider
A friend had one, they work great. better in places like AZ and UT.

I had thought about doing this few years ago to get into some land locked public land. That is until I researched the law. Utah is pretty strict about using using aircraft during hunting season.

R657-5-14. Use of Vehicle or Aircraft.

(1)(a) A person may not use an airplane or any other airborne vehicle or device, or any motorized terrestrial or aquatic vehicle, including snowmobiles and other recreational vehicles, except a vessel as provided in Subsection (c), to take protected wildlife.

(b) A person may not take protected wildlife being chased, harmed, harassed, rallied, herded, flushed, pursued or moved by an aircraft or any other vehicle or conveyance listed in Subsection (a).

(c) Big game may be taken from a vessel provided:

(i) the motor of a motorboat has been completely shut off;

(ii) the sails of a sailboat have been furled; and

(iii) the vessel's progress caused by the motor or sail has ceased.

(2)(a) A person may not use any type of aircraft from 48 hours before any big game hunt begins through 48 hours after any big game hunting season ends to:

(i) transport a hunter or hunting equipment into a hunting area;

(ii) transport a big game carcass; or

(iii) locate, or attempt to observe or locate any protected wildlife.

(b) Flying slowly at low altitudes, hovering, circling or repeatedly flying over a forest, marsh, field, woodland or rangeland where protected wildlife is likely to be found may be used as evidence of violations of Subsections (1) and (2).

(3) The provisions of this section do not apply to the operation of an aircraft in a usual manner, or landings and departures from improved airstrips, where there is no attempt or intent to locate protected wildlife.

123 4/8 P&Y

Well Known Rokslider
I had thought about doing this few years ago to get into some land locked public land. That is until I researched the law. Utah is pretty strict about using using aircraft during hunting season.

R657-5-14. Use of Vehicle or Aircraft.

(1)(a) A person may not use an airplane or any other airborne vehicle or device, or any motorized terrestrial or aquatic vehicle, including snowmobiles and other recreational vehicles, except a vessel as provided in Subsection (c), to take protected wildlife.

(b) A person may not take protected wildlife being chased, harmed, harassed, rallied, herded, flushed, pursued or moved by an aircraft or any other vehicle or conveyance listed in Subsection (a).

(c) Big game may be taken from a vessel provided:

(i) the motor of a motorboat has been completely shut off;

(ii) the sails of a sailboat have been furled; and

(iii) the vessel's progress caused by the motor or sail has ceased.

(2)(a) A person may not use any type of aircraft from 48 hours before any big game hunt begins through 48 hours after any big game hunting season ends to:

(i) transport a hunter or hunting equipment into a hunting area;

(ii) transport a big game carcass; or

(iii) locate, or attempt to observe or locate any protected wildlife.

(b) Flying slowly at low altitudes, hovering, circling or repeatedly flying over a forest, marsh, field, woodland or rangeland where protected wildlife is likely to be found may be used as evidence of violations of Subsections (1) and (2).

(3) The provisions of this section do not apply to the operation of an aircraft in a usual manner, or landings and departures from improved airstrips, where there is no attempt or intent to locate protected wildlife.

Holy cow, is "the man" that strict about everything in Utah?

muleman

Well Known Rokslider
Holy cow, is "the man" that strict about everything in Utah?

For somethings Utah is pretty regulated. As far as guns go we have it pretty good.

When I was looking into using aircraft, I asked one of our conservation officers his interpretation of Section(2)(a). He basically said that aircraft were not usable from 48 hours before the first big game hunt opened and until 48 hours after the last hunt closed. Obviously I think this law is too vague and there could be some wiggle room if argued in court. But I would rather hunt than be a defendant so I dropped the pursuit for a form of personal aircraft.