Elk season dates---fantasy league

Sled

WKR
This same topic comes up yearly in my home state. There are a lot of good ideas with reasoning but nothing ever changes. People have adapted to the system an some have continued success. The other 90% get to enjoy the outdoors like elmer fudd did before them. In your western state, how would you change the season dates by weapon? Would you manage for opportunity, trophy or both? How and why?

OP
Sled

Sled

WKR
That's pretty awesome! The western states must be doing something right if they got it 100% correct according to the roksliders.

Gerbdog

WKR
Haha... isnt perfect. I miss having a separate muzzleloader season from archery season. I found it extremely jarring to have muzzleloader season right smack in the middle of archery season here in Colorado but... like anything... you adapt and get over it.

njdoxie

WKR
CO has it about right......no one has exactly what they want, but most can live with it, any major changes and there'll be people PO'd, instead of just a little unhappy.

I feel like this is a loaded question because what works well for one hunter probably won’t be best for another, but I love the question and am looking forward to hearing others thoughts!

I have only hunted CO, but for me, I would get rid of OTC for rifle. I’m not opposed to those that think muzzleloader should be separate from archery, my only question is how would you lay out the seasons? I imagine most archery hunters would like it be pushed to the first week of October for a better rut hunt but would muzzleloader then be before archery?

Gerbdog

WKR
I feel like this is a loaded question because what works well for one hunter probably won’t be best for another, but I love the question and am looking forward to hearing others thoughts!

I have only hunted CO, but for me, I would get rid of OTC for rifle. I’m not opposed to those that think muzzleloader should be separate from archery, my only question is how would you lay out the seasons? I imagine most archery hunters would like it be pushed to the first week of October for a better rut hunt but would muzzleloader then be before archery?
I guess I had always been told the elk rut used to occur a lot earlier in September then it has been lately, from gentleman far older and wiser then myself. I cant personally speak to that though. I do feel that archery should have a crack at peak rutting periods but im almost certainly biased to that opinion. I would put muzzleloader in the same week as first rifle and then I would probably push both of them out another week similar to what New Mexico does with its muzzleloader season.

I guess I had always been told the elk rut used to occur a lot earlier in September then it has been lately, from gentleman far older and wiser then myself. I cant personally speak to that though. I do feel that archery should have a crack at peak rutting periods but im almost certainly biased to that opinion. I would put muzzleloader in the same week as first rifle and then I would probably push both of them out another week similar to what New Mexico does with its muzzleloader season.
I agree archery should be during peak rut. And I know that can vary a little depending on the year. I hear it has been after archery the last couple years in CO, but I wasn’t archery hunting so can’t speak to that. I can get on board with your suggestions though. Take away OTC rifle and the state can do whatever else they want to lol.

Last edited:
Elk rut based on biology, not heresay...

I think Colorado does a good job. I don't mind the muzzleloaders. There's more guys bowhunting by that time of the season anyway so it feels crowded regardless. I wouldn't mind if the muzz season was the week before first rifle. Either way you have rifle bear, early rifle deer, private land rifle whenever, etc. I do wish they had gone with the idea to open archery deer a week earlier than the elk season, for the sake of deer opportunity not competition.

I chased three bulls bugling with cows the week before last but according to people who can't find elk, the rut is late...

Poser

WKR
Elk rut based on biology, not heresay...

I think Colorado does a good job. I don't mind the muzzleloaders. There's more guys bowhunting by that time of the season anyway so it feels crowded regardless. I wouldn't mind if the muzz season was the week before first rifle. Either way you have rifle bear, early rifle deer, private land rifle whenever, etc. I do wish they had gone with the idea to open archery deer a week earlier than the elk season, for the sake of deer opportunity not competition.

I chased three bulls bugling with cows the week before last but according to people who can't find elk, the rut is late...

If you listen to hunters, you’ll find that the rut is “strange”, “late”, and “not normal” every year. I pay little to no attention to any of it.

If you listen to hunters, you’ll find that the rut is “strange”, “late”, and “not normal” every year. I pay little to no attention to any of it.

Or "they're all up high". Or "they're all down in the private".

More like they're all just not standing where you are.

Start Montana archery elk the second to last week of August for trad bows. So about two and half week early. When the big boys are still wallowing in daylight hours and they're actually bugling. It'll never happen but a guy can dream.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk