Elk Shull Hacker

In my on-going search to find the best bull skull capper, I’ve got one of these on the way. Oh yeah, I’ve dabbled in them all. The best top knot remover has got to be effective (sharp, good on bone with goo mixed in as well as serve a secondary role to saw up small chunks of wood for the Lite Outdoors tipi stove) and as light as possible (particularly as I get a bit longer in the tooth). The best I’ve found so far is the old standard, Wyoming Saw but it’s a bit heavy. Yep, I’ve tried a handful of the folding saws (insert brand here) but my buddy and I have broke them all on hard elk skulls. I’ll let you know how the Dandy Saw works out this fall on elk/deer. More to follow......

https://www.robertsonenterprises.net/store/p16/12"_MINI_DANDY®.html

I witnessed a friend cap a bull last season with a small tomahawk. It was awesome and worked great. He uses it for all kinds of things, elk faces, elk joints, driving tent stakes, processing firewood ect. I was so impressed with it that I bought one immediately.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I would stop your search at the WY saw and just accept that it's a little heavy. I don't think it's ever taken me more than a minute to skull cap a bull with mine, even big ones. That's worth not messing with some lightweight option that will drive you crazy.

drmatara

FNG
You should really give the WY Saw a chance, it's a little heavy but it always gets the job done.

rayporter

WKR
i have used the 12 in dandy on 4elk and it worked but i sure wished for a 16 or 18 in model. i also tried a hawk, a hatchet and an axe. my hawk is just too light wt.

after that i got a 21 in sven and it does ok [ it has over a dozen elk plus 2 moose and 2 bou on it] but the triangular shape hinders it some.

Beendare

WKR
I don’t pack a saw around anymore unless it’s my silky for building ground blinds or trimming trees I am climbing.

I take the head off at the last vertebrae so less messing with brain material that could contain CWD. Plus my knife is easier to clean and sterilize.

-

MBubley

FNG
For everyone saying it heavy whats the weight? Is it really that heavy? Or is it heavy if your ultralight?

rayporter

WKR
a question.

is it easier to pack a light saw and cut the skull cap off or cut off the head and pack out the head? which is heavier?

keep in mind that many are not allowed to bring brains back home so they must get the brains out before hitting the road. this means boiling [ usually ]

Jethro

WKR
18” Wyoming saw listed at 23 oz. It does work great for the skull cap. None of our group carries it everyday, but we’ve all taken it in for 2nd load and capped.

Aaron Warpony

Lil-Rokslider
alotta Guys here in Alaska use these stanley saws for moose since we have to take the ribs bone in. I'm trying it this fall. I've never capped a critter with one but they're cheap, lighter that my Wyoming saw and can do wood or whatever. when it's dull, go to home depot and get another one for $10

Attachments

• 1615494595964.png
    1615494595964.png
    414 KB · Views: 19
OP
Wapititalk1
Don’t tell Mrs Wapiti, but I think I’m in love again. This little critter is a beast (blade is crafted for both wood and bone)! Built rock solid, sharp as a politicians tongue, and at only a bit over 11 ounces, is much lighter than the WY saw. Ya, I think I’ve finally found my saw. It’s only taken 40 years, I’m a bit slow....

Attachments

• CE541CA0-1E56-44BF-BB0A-FB92E9817448.jpeg
    CE541CA0-1E56-44BF-BB0A-FB92E9817448.jpeg
    108.7 KB · Views: 49

Extrapale

WKR
I am a hatchet guy myself. Skull capped many deer and elk with them.
76ff42f562b0af213320115bf62a66bc.jpg

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

wytx

WKR
Most times we just remove the lower jaw and then take off ears and hide from rest of skull. Not that heavy to haul out that way. A pocket knife does the job.