Elk tactics?

RB1

Lil-Rokslider
Hello everybody! I finally made it out for my long awaited archery elk hunt here in Colorado. My hunting partner and myself have been hard at it for 5 days now. We’ve covered a great deal of ground in 2 different units. We’ve seen plenty of mule deer sign, but really haven’t seen anything that appears to be elk sign opposed to an old rub here and there. We have yet to see or hear one. We have been hunting anywhere from 7000-10500 feet and 2-5 miles from the road. Not asking for spots at all, just curious is there are some key terrain features we are overlooking or if we are not even close to the correct elevation band? We have been focusing on box canyons and basins but are still coming up short. Although we have had many trials and low points we are still having a great time. I appreciate the input!

Gerbdog

WKR
This is going to sound super vague... because it is... but i'd keep having a good time, keep in good spirits, and keep moving. It sounds like your doing everything right its just a problem of the elk being where you arent. Wish I could offer better advice but it seems like you are looking at good terrain already and are moving .... just sucks hearing the answer "keep moving til you find the elk" but... hey that the truth of it. The elevation your hunting is completely fine.... are you getting into the thick timbers on north facing slopes? These may be bedding areas so... beware, move slow, call first and see if something will come to you because busting them out of their bedding areas sucks.... but may be a good place to check for sign if there are elk in the area, you dont have to go stomping through the bedding area, its just good to know they are using it now and then. I would also try going from water source to water source that you can locate and you can look for elk activity around it to know if elk are in the area also (Colorado has an abundance of water, but you can usually find hoof prints, etc.).

Reactions: RB1

Werty

WKR
Not saying your not doing this, find the highest spot, or something that gives you a good vantage. Glass, glass, be up there at the crack of dawn. I've personally had to change my habits and incorporate this into my style. It works.

SonnyDay

WKR
If you are truly not seeing any fresh sign anywhere... go somewhere else.

Otherwise, as noted above:
  • Get to a ridge/knob BEFORE DAWN (meaning, be sitting on your butt-pad, putting on layers, and settling in all comfortable-like in COMPLETE DARKNESS).
  • Then wait.
  • Then glass.
  • Then stalk.
Good luck!

OP
RB1

RB1

Lil-Rokslider
All of the advice has been very helpful! We are trying a different area within our same unit tomorrow, so hopefully it will pan out. We are both new to chasing elk, so I’m sure 90% of it is a learning curve. Just helps to have some affirmation that what we are doing has been conducive to locating elk for other people.

Gerbdog

WKR
All of the advice has been very helpful! We are trying a different area within our same unit tomorrow, so hopefully it will pan out. We are both new to chasing elk, so I’m sure 90% of it is a learning curve. Just helps to have some affirmation that what we are doing has been conducive to locating elk for other people.
Yup, if your doing the things mentioned in this thread its just a matter of moving areas until you find the elk. Even when you find elk this year, it doesn't mean they will be there next year either when you go back to check, elk move a whole lot

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
This time of year driving or hiking lateeee at night May help trying to find any elk and vocal elk otherwise have to keep moving until you find them.....good luck

OP
RB1

RB1

Lil-Rokslider
Give Remi Warrens podcast Cutting the Distance episode 5 a listen. Lots of good stuff there
His podcast is where I’ve gotten a lot of my info from to be honest! Like I said, I’m sure this situation happens to MANY people their first go at elk hunting. We are having a great time but it can mentally wear you down. I’m sure most everyone on this site can attest to that. Haha

Crschnei

FNG
Keep your hopes up! Another thing not mentioned - muzzle loaders were all out last week and definitely pressured the elk. We were out for 7 days. Day one bugles all over. Heard quite a few muzzle loader shots. Radio silence the rest of the week. This included hiking in at 2:00 a.m., now that the muzzle loader guys are done, they may start bugling more. Good luck!

OP
RB1

RB1

Lil-Rokslider
Keep your hopes up! Another thing not mentioned - muzzle loaders were all out last week and definitely pressured the elk. We were out for 7 days. Day one bugles all over. Heard quite a few muzzle loader shots. Radio silence the rest of the week. This included hiking in at 2:00 a.m., now that the muzzle loader guys are done, they may start bugling more. Good luck!
I figured that may have had something to do with it too. I’ll be here until Sunday and am holding on to hope. Honestly, I’ve never heard an elk bugle and I would give anything just to experience that or see some while actually hunting. Just going to try and stay persistent and positive!

Gerbdog

WKR
I figured that may have had something to do with it too. I’ll be here until Sunday and am holding on to hope. Honestly, I’ve never heard an elk bugle and I would give anything just to experience that or see some while actually hunting. Just going to try and stay persistent and positive!
Like Ross mentioned above, be out late late at night or up early early on the mountain... if the elk are around they are talkative at night, even in highly pressured areas

def90

WKR
Just some random thoughts.. Have to be up in your spot before it starts getting light out. The elk have been quiet so far this season and if you do hear them it’s in the dark, this past week I heard a couple random far off bugles during the day. Reports are that they are beginning to fire up. Everything where I have been so far has been dry so look for water sources, feed areas and bedding areas, they will be in one of those 3 areas or on the way to one of those 3 areas. Bedding areas will likely be shelfs on the top 3rd of the wooded mountain side, right now most of the water in the areas I’ve been has been at the bottom of the valley, the usual mountainside holes are dry. If water is down low and bedding up high get up high above them in the dark and intercept them as they are moving upslope. Mid day maybe do a slow hunt cross slope in dark timber or maybe sit on a water hole mid day. In the evening they will be moving the opposite way they were in the morning. Always be watching for areas where they may have been recently feeding on grass, aspen shoots/branches or aspen bark. I’ve been entering this stuff as various waypoints in OnX to see if I can figure out a general direction they are going or some kind of pattern. Just keep at it, it’s very tempting to just go back to camp when you’ve been walking around all day without seeing anything. I bring MREs with me so that I can stay on the mountain and not have to deal with carrying a stove and extra water and so on. A warm meal is good for a mental recharge when that idea that you should just call it a day begins to pop up in your head.

Lark Bunting

Lil-Rokslider
I hate the saying, "it is what it is" almost as much as I hate, "elk are where you find them", but...both have their time and place in a conversation. Are you hunting OTC, draw unit, high alpine, lower elevation?

CJF

WKR
Find the highest elevation feeding and bedding areas that the unit has to offer.

Wrench

WKR
Much as I like to have the elevation advantage, being on a ridge at dawn is risky. Elk tend to go up to to bed and thermals always win. If you're on a ridge, you damn sure better have a hole to dive into as soon as you can see or you just kicked yourself square in the nuts.

Call when its dark. Listen for the thunder of the herd, stay under them in terms of wind and work them in bed. Unless they pass under your nose, you're not going to turn them on the go anyway.