Elk tag NR strategy

Matt1214

Lil-Rokslider
Hello! I wanted to get everyone's input on tag point strategy. I currently have 1 pt in WY and 1 pt in AZ. I apply every year to NM to no avail.
I will be applying to AZ, NM, and buying a point each year for WY.

My question is should I add another state in the mix to build points? Like UT/CO? Is it pointless to get into the game now for UT/CO because of point creep?
Should I just focus on adding ID to the mix and forgo CO/UT? Let me know your guys' thoughts!

Laramie

WKR
I think it really depends on your goal with the points. If you think you will save for a Colorado premium tag, you better be planning on living for a long time. If you are just looking to get into decent LQ areas, I think buying points in all states possible makes a lot of sense. If a guy is organized and committed, he could have a decent LQ hunt every year 5-7 years after starting. It will get expensive though...

Aaronpaul14

Lil-Rokslider
Newb here. Going to be following this. My plan so far is NM, Wyoming, and Montana for drawing/points and then fill in gap years with Idaho or CO OTC.

mavinwa2

WKR
Res WA ST, winter>Gilbert AZ , NR>AZ, UT, NM, CO.
Preference Point systems suck! At least Bonus Points gives you some kind of chance to draw.
AZ at least has 2 draws; 50% of tags via Preference Point AND 2nd draw for remaining tags via bonus point lotto.

what sucks more?
5-10% tag allotment limitations on non-resident applicants.
Example; my choice AZ archery bull unit, 175 tags issued. Of which only 17 can be awarded to non-residents...if those 17 are not claimed prior by residents.

since that non-resident allotment change, I've never drawn New Mexico again. And I like that they require no points B.S.!

Non-Res apps for AZ, NM for me. Too old to wait for UT, WY, NV, CO permit draws.

Last edited:

wapitibob

WKR
AZ at least has 2 draws; 50% of tags via Preference Point AND 2nd draw for remaining tags via bonus point lotto.

AZ uses Bonus Points for their Elk draw, both the Bonus Pass and the 1-2 Pass. The Bonus Pass issues 20% of the hunt code tags to those with the most points that applied for that hunt, of which no more than 5% can go to nr. No more than 10% can be issued to nr for a hunt code in total.

Last edited:
OP
M

Matt1214

Lil-Rokslider
I think it really depends on your goal with the points. If you think you will save for a Colorado premium tag, you better be planning on living for a long time. If you are just looking to get into decent LQ areas, I think buying points in all states possible makes a lot of sense. If a guy is organized and committed, he could have a decent LQ hunt every year 5-7 years after starting. It will get expensive though...
I like the idea of spread it around as much as possible. Then I can at least get into some decent areas in 10 or so years from now.
I think I'll add CO for at least archery mule deer as I can probably get into some decent units in a few years. Maybe build point for elk and deer in UT.

So If I do the following:

Wyoming:
Buy points for elk, deer, antelope

CO:
Mule deer

UT:
Elk & deer

AZ:
Elk (my family is from Pinetop so I'll put in there every year for chance to draw before I die)
Deer- the strip (again see above for maybe a shot later in life)

NM:
Elk, deer, Oryx, antelope

Idaho:
Mountain goat & premium elk , antelope units
Mountain goat look sthe most promising here but the CC fee and license to apply each year is a tough pill to swallow

What do you guys think?

ShakeDown

WKR
Some states it’s a sunk cost to add a few more pps if you are already buying the qualifying license and applying for one species. Ex. Colorado, might as well grab elk and antelope for an additional $18 if you are paying for deer.

OP
M

Matt1214

Lil-Rokslider
Some states it’s a sunk cost to add a few more pps if you are already buying the qualifying license and applying for one species. Ex. Colorado, might as well grab elk and antelope for an additional $18 if you are paying for deer.
Yeah that makes sense. What states require you to buy a hunting license? I know ID, CO, AZ. Any others?

I like the idea of spread it around as much as possible. Then I can at least get into some decent areas in 10 or so years from now.
I think I'll add CO for at least archery mule deer as I can probably get into some decent units in a few years. Maybe build point for elk and deer in UT.

So If I do the following:

Wyoming:
Buy points for elk, deer, antelope

CO:
Mule deer

UT:
Elk & deer

AZ:
Elk (my family is from Pinetop so I'll put in there every year for chance to draw before I die)
Deer- the strip (again see above for maybe a shot later in life)

NM:
Elk, deer, Oryx, antelope

Idaho:
Mountain goat & premium elk , antelope units
Mountain goat look sthe most promising here but the CC fee and license to apply each year is a tough pill to swallow

What do you guys think?
That looks good. I'd add Montana for elk/deer. Cheap to buy points. You can draw a general elk/deer tag there fairly regularly (as of today).

KineKilla

WKR
One also has to consider that many states require full tag fees up front. Not necessarily a deal breaker but you will pay the interest on the total for a few months while you await results and refunds.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

HuntNTag

WKR
Nevada, UT, CO, Montana and Idaho.

But in simplest without extra added, sure add to CO and UT.

Gives you the opportunity to get involved in a bunch of different places and wait out building some points while still haven’t opportunity on some random draws. CO is truly a preference point system while other states give you slight additional opportunities/chances. If you just wait for the best units for points, you will be out of time with point creep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MP.hunter

FNG
I started this process 8 years ago and apply for just about every species through out most western states including my home state of WA. Once I started I feel I can’t drop out because I don’t want to lose my “investment” but I probably should drop a couple states like OR. I have drawn three states ID, MT and NM and ID the first year applying there and NM deer in a great unit my first year so no point states are what I would focus on, I still have yet to burn any points in any other out of state hunt except MT antelope.
I do like applying for hunts though where I have some outside shot at drawing like AZ and NV, although long shot on most of those right now with less than double digit points.
Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wapiti1

WKR
You have to set your priority for each state. Trophy or just get out and hunt.

Points give you options in most states that you wouldn't otherwise have. WY, MT and CO are places where you use them often to pull tags so you can hunt every year. Sure CO has OTC, but you can add options with only a couple of points for muzzy or first rifle and in some cases have a better hunt. Even a low end LE unit in CO can be a better hunt than a pure OTC unit.

Something like hold out for the best in AZ, and NV. Apply in ID and NM just because, and use points often in MT, WY and CO so you always have a hunt that year wouldn't be a bad strategy.

The above applies to elk and deer. Antelope are a little different, and MT and WY are the easiest to hunt often.

Jeremy

Reactions: CMF

Seamaster

Lil-Rokslider
For a NR Colorado is a great place to cow hunt, but drawing a bull license for a premium unit is almost a once in a lifetime event anymore,

Montana is worth a look.