Elk Taxidermy Form Input

It has been a busy year for me and I am just now getting around to getting my 2020 bull mounted. I need to pick out a form. I was sort of sold on a floor pedestal, but now I am leaning toward a 90 degree turn. I have 9' ceilings and I am going to be taking the mount through a 36" door. What are your recommendations? To give an idea of size, the bull is a 6x7 that netted 336 6/8 with an outside spread of 40". I am really wanting him mounted bugling since he was bugling his brains off that morning and had just finished chuckling right in front of me before I sent an arrow through him.

Any issues I need to be aware of? Clearance, taking him through the door or anything else I might be missing?

stonewall

WKR
jetz has a really cool form...I'll try to find a pic...

IMHO it's not conducive to a bugling pose, but it has a really good sense of motion to it. idk it he has different sizes on it just yet. this one in link is for a pretty large cape...sounds like yours might be. with some altering it could be bugling, but then you'd probably be running the antlers into the wall

I would make the antlers detachable just to make things easier, regardless of pose

Last edited:

Overdrive

WKR
Look through magazines and find a natural pose you like, any good taxidermist should be able to replicate the pose. I personally don't like the 90 bugling pose because you loose site of the rack as a whole, you see one side only.
Take the antlers and have a friend hold them up and look at them from different angles to get the best possible view of the tines and see what stands out the best and will show them off the beat.
Pedestals are nice because your not limiting the position as far as having to have antler clearance like with a wall mount, you can sweep the antlers back past the shoulder and get a good bugling pose for sure. Do it right the first time so your happy with it, your the one looking at it for years to come.

OP
B
Thanks guys. I would like to see some of the 90 degree mounts. I have seen a few and I really liked them.

A wide rack can be tough on a true 90 degree turn. The rack could hit the wall. I took a 90 degree and had it cut so it’s more like 65 degrees. I can see the side view and from a couple seats in the room a front view. I love it. It’s the bull on right in my avatar.

They can take up a lot more space than you expect. Both vertically and horizontally (especially with a 90* turn).

You need to take more measurements than width. Get the measurements of the form as well as the main beams, any kickers, etc. Triple check your actual interior width of the door.

For where you want it mounted, grab all measurements of available space: length, width, and height. Let your taxidermist know how much space you have and any size constraints.

My ceiling is 12’ and slants. My bull takes up at least 6’ of vertical space and over 40” of horizontal. Went with a semi sneak as any more “turn” would have taken even more space.

Scoot is spot on. Depending on your final dimensions you may very well be better off with a pedestal mount.

Reactions: WCB

WCB

WKR
If you are worried about getting it through the door just have the taxidermist make the antlers removable. It will make it A LOT easier to hang as well as if you ever have to move it. Make sure you have enough room to get the antlers on once it is hung.

IMO pedestal would be the way to go. If you want it on the wall and the room is big enough go with a more forward facing bugling form. Just my opinion but I have never saw a 90 degree wall elk mount that I like you get to see 1/2 of the rack

OP
B
Thanks for the input. I was originally going to do a pedestal 100% and then I started seeing people mention the 90 degree form as a space saver. The original plan was to get the form and mount the antlers to it and then try to get it in through the door. If no issues I'll have it mounted without removable antlers.

I'd appreciate any cool pics you guys have of your elk mounts.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk