Elk Tent Stove - Tips and Strategies?

11boo

WKR
I just have never seen a multi wall pipe needed in a tent app. And I get this stuff hotter than the gates of hades.

Silnylon tent, regular pipe. No damage. Unless you had too much to drink and touched this.

02373513-5D2A-4F7A-8285-C5912ADF2F4D.jpeg

OP
O
I just have never seen a multi wall pipe needed in a tent app. And I get this stuff hotter than the gates of hades.

Silnylon tent, regular pipe. No damage. Unless you had too much to drink and touched this.

View attachment 367176
Holy $hit that's hot!!!

Curious what your method is to get it like that? Seems you have a good idea on how to raise/lower the temperature of your stove.

OP
O
Seems like the overwhelming consensus is that if I make a pipe hole in the roof and get a longer pipe that goes above the peak, this should cure most of my smoke issues. I'll get on this and see if that's it. I would've NEVER thought that was the problem!

Great help guys! Thanks everyone.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Seems like the overwhelming consensus is that if I make a pipe hole in the roof and get a longer pipe that goes above the peak, this should cure most of my smoke issues. I'll get on this and see if that's it. I would've NEVER thought that was the problem!

Great help guys! Thanks everyone.
If stove pipe is not above peak of tent or roof top for that matter wind can cause a down draft in vent. In home heater vents, two ft. above peak in within four ft. of peak. That is code where I live.

11boo

WKR
Holy $hit that's hot!!!

Curious what your method is to get it like that? Seems you have a good idea on how to raise/lower the temperature of your stove.
7A2CCA75-CBD2-48D7-B5E2-71B5CE512FB1.jpeg
Usually I don’t get it that hot. 10 degrees and snow still inside, I cranked it up.
That pipe is thin titanium and shows heat very well. I just stuffed it with wood and opened the damper.

jdinville3

Lil-Rokslider

View attachment 367176
Now that is a night light, thanks for sharing what you have going, I'm looking to do something similar.

One thing not mentioned on the homemade stove is, whether the pipe collar is in, or above the stove. the farther into the stove your pipe is, the worse the draw. If everything is above the top, the smoother the top is to accomodate draw. Also, a stovepipe 'T' works better to induce draft than a cap. Spark arrestors must be kept clean....

IMG_1902.jpg

IMG_1902.jpg

HPIM3132reduced.jpg

The army issue stoves of the 50s came with a cap that had three attachment points for ropes so you could anchor your pipe and make it stable. You can make these with three ring, some metal and a pop rivet tool. Shame todays industry can't duplicate army technology of the 50s.

The army issue stoves of the 50s came with a cap that had three attachment points for ropes so you could anchor your pipe and make it stable. You can make these with three ring, some metal and a pop rivet tool. Shame todays industry can't duplicate army technology of the 50s.
Those caps work very well, but they soot up pretty fast. I have one of the old Korean War era stoves that are kerosene/ wood interchangeable.