Elk unit 66 or 39 Colorado

Deerhunter6250

Lil-Rokslider
I had a unit all scouted and then it burned hot on me so it will be a few years to be good again. So in researching statistics I decided on one of theses to hunt. I am trying to decide which one I should use my points on for a first season rifle tag in either unit or a muzzle loader in 39. I have researched the units and looked over maps and statistics. I am an older DIY backpack hunter and would appreciate any information anyone would be willing to share through a PM on either unit that might help me decide which way to go. Thanks In advance

OP
D

Deerhunter6250

Lil-Rokslider
Nonresident from Iowa. Hunted in a general unit for years and do well but it’s 9 miles in. Thanks

wildcat33

WKR
I wouldn't spend a point on 39. Not sure what the success rate is in that unit, but there has to be better options.

66 you wont draw a bull with 1 pt.

OP
D

Deerhunter6250

Lil-Rokslider
I wouldn't spend a point on 39. Not sure what the success rate is in that unit, but there has to be better options.

I have 3 points so it’s still not a guarantee but I have a chance in 66 first rifle I might have to wait another year. Thanks

wildcat33

WKR
I have 3 points so it’s still not a guarantee but I have a chance in 66 first rifle I might have to wait another year. Thanks
Ah, misread your post. sorry. Looks like you're right on the edge, most are getting in with 4 pts.

PAhunter58

Lil-Rokslider
I hunted 66 a few years ago. Big & Tall nasty unit in the southern end. The points to draw 1st rifle have been trending higher the last couple years. The bulls in 1st are high and tough to get to, but doable. During 3rd rifle, the snow (if it happens) does move the Elk down and are way more accessible.

The points to draw 1st rifle have been trending higher the last couple years.
You ever wonder why? I've never been on a forum where more guys ask about unit information on the WWW than this one. Some of the sites that used to be very good were all about hunting, very little about "He joe, tell me where to go"

Check the bear forum.......Would you tell a guy where you favoirte fishing lake is? Favorite public land WT spot where you shoot 140-150 inch deer yearly?

Every time I see a unit that I hunt pop up on a forum, I cringe, and hope it just goes away asap as point creep is directly related to publiciy on forums.

Good luck OP!

You ever wonder why? I've never been on a forum where more guys ask about unit information on the WWW than this one. Some of the sites that used to be very good were all about hunting, very little about "He joe, tell me where to go"

Check the bear forum.......Would you tell a guy where you favoirte fishing lake is? Favorite public land WT spot where you shoot 140-150 inch deer yearly?

Every time I see a unit that I hunt pop up on a forum, I cringe, and hope it just goes away asap as point creep is directly related to publiciy on forums.

Good luck OP!
That's a pretty unsubstantiated statement. Of all the guys I hunt with, I am the only one that frequents this forum. So, I don't think a handful of guys reading these posts are going to have a severe impact on the points required to hunt a particular unit. I would say hunting shows like Meat Eater have a much bigger impact on guys attempting big game western hunting.

That's a pretty unsubstantiated statement. Of all the guys I hunt with, I am the only one that frequents this forum. So, I don't think a handful of guys reading these posts are going to have a severe impact on the points required to hunt a particular unit. I would say hunting shows like Meat Eater have a much bigger impact on guys attempting big game western hunting.

Prior to these shows, big mouths sank ships. I know some pretty good units that went from 1-2 points to 5-6-8 etc. Shows cause creep, but shows don't call out unit numbers.

Edit........12 people have replied to this thread, close to 500 have viewed it. Pretty telling what can and does happen.

Last edited:
Point creep has plenty of causes but the effect from forums is certainly non-zero. Especially when we make it so dang easy by putting unit numbers in the titles. I've scrolled through the elk forum as a member for over six years, and as a non-member before that. Certain unit numbers pop up more than others and naturally that piques my interest, and I'm definitely not alone.

OP
D

Deerhunter6250

Lil-Rokslider

Good luck OP!
I have been playing the point game for 30 plus year’s. There’s always been point creep. More hunters than tags, supply and denand. I enjoy helping others and hearing back from them. If it’s an area I hunt ever 3 to 10 years I will help them and then maybe learn more about the area from them for my next hunt in that unit.

tracker12

WKR
I can see being quiet about areas that can be hunted every year. But areas where you can hunt once every 5 yr or so I see no reason why not sharing info. That being said I will do it on a PM.