Elk unit 66 or 39 Colorado

ForwardFlight, There are some good mulies in 39, my nephew shot a whopper last fall. Most of the mulies I have seen are not that big. . If you shoot a nice four point you're doing good. Third season is good if the snow has fallen up high, if not go high to find the bigger bucks. Lately we've had no snow so if that remains the norm I hope you and your wife have good hiking shoes! Good luck!

Scout as much as possible and get a good lay of the land. Trying to figure out the land while the hunt is going on will not be a great experience for her.

Yup, plan on making some "camping" trips to go out and scout and get a feel for it. I've never hunted Muleys before so i'm trying to read and learn on how exactly to scout for decent areas. It'll be the blind leading the blind but all worth it if we can put in the work and even see one buck during the season.

ForwardFlight, There are some good mulies in 39, my nephew shot a whopper last fall. Most of the mulies I have seen are not that big. . If you shoot a nice four point you're doing good. Third season is good if the snow has fallen up high, if not go high to find the bigger bucks. Lately we've had no snow so if that remains the norm I hope you and your wife have good hiking shoes! Good luck!

I'm hoping this year gets that snow. We're in Colorado Springs so we won't have to adjust to the altitude and the cold as much. Either way, we're preparing for the worst. Cold, snowy weather and unforgiving terrain. She's actually agreed to take days off work to commit to this hunt so im pretty excited to spend several days out there. Its gonna be a great experience either way.

tracker12

WKR
I'd give my left nut if I could still hunt my favorite place in WY every five years. That's what it was when I started in 2007. Now it's double digits. If folks don't think that chatter on the forums impacts this, they simply don't get it. No doubt there are other factors, but the internet impacts creep. If you need empirical evidence to support that claim, I can't help you. It's absolutely true though...

Tracker, not picking on you here- just commenting on the idea that forums don't impact creep.
Unfortunately Point creep is not going away. It is only going to get worse. Took me 22 years to draw a CO Unit 2 Archery Elk tag. When I first started the points game it took 5NR PP. It really boils down to fewer tags and more demand. It's even bad for resident hunters these days. As hunter realize they will never be able to collect enough point for the premium units they search for others. I predict in the next 5 years OTC tags will be gone making it even worse.

Last edited:

michaema2

FNG
I muzzleload hunted 39 last year for deer. I had a herd bull 300" 6x6 100 yards away with a couple raghorns and spikes in the group. Also saw another group of elk with a couple of raghorns in range and I saw a 250" 5x5 with 3-4 cows 1/2 mile away. So there are elk in the unit. But I covered a lot of ground and hunted 8 days and those three groups were the only elk I saw. The 6x6 bugled a couple of times, but those were the only bugles I heard all week.

The elk and deer are there, (not plentiful like michaema2 said), but you'll earn every one you get and more than likely you'll have the wrong tag in hand when you see them, it just seems to work that way in 39!