Elk vs Moose

I’m wondering how the two cohabitate if at all?
The area I’m hunting this year seems to have plenty of moose. They are of course down lower and closer to the road. The Elk are higher and further from the roads.
What is your experience with seeing elk and moose in the same general area/habitat/elevation. Will one species or the other push the other one out? If I see moose should I get out of the area to find elk or is it possible they could be cohabitating in the same area?
Thank you.

rob86jeep

WKR
Not too much help, but in CO we shot an elk out of camp just a day or two after having a bull moose walk through out camp.

One-shot

Lil-Rokslider
Moosr love water and wetlands. Elk will graze high and go low for water more nocturnally. Elk will definitely be higher and drier.

robtattoo

WKR
I shot my cow last year within 50 yds of a cow, calf & spike moose.

Incedentally, a spike moose had to be one of the oddest looking & coolest critters I've ever seen. I didn't even know such a thing even existed!

It actually depends on WHEN & WHERE you are as to whether to share real estate or not. Won't find many elk in a swamp but I have encountered moose & elk & mule deer within a mile of each other in the upper timber in Alberta.

Last edited:

Tmac

WKR
Took my Moose at about 8,000’, my sons on the valley floor. Both in WY. I’ve seen them in the same general area often, when at a little elevation.

wytx

WKR
Have seen and called in moose and elk in same spot. Bull moose will wander far and wide to find a hot cow.
Not all elk hang out up high, all depends on the area. We see moose and elk very often in same areas where we hunt.
This bull came out in the open and to us after we did a set of raking and cow calling for elk. We had elk talking and this moose in same area.
DSCN2860 copy.jpg

bsnedeker

WKR
I've run into moose every year in September no matter where I'm chasing elk.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk